Getting money back on rego etc for deceased car

Page 1 / 2
sally63, Oct 17, 4:39pm
My car has died-terminal - and I have just renewed the rego , diesel miles and wof. Can I get any of that back?

curlcrown, Oct 17, 4:49pm
WOF no, you paid for a job (inspection) to be done and it was done. It would be like getting your house painted and then asking for money back because it burnt down a few weeks later. Rego yes, if you deregister the car you will be refunded the unused rego minus a fee. Diesel miles I don't know but I would think so, someone else will know.

curlcrown, Oct 17, 4:51pm
What sort if car is it? It may still have some value as is but if you deregister in the value will drop significantly unless it is not worth saving and only scrap value.

sally63, Oct 17, 4:52pm
Its a 2008 Toyota Corolla diesel. Motor died.I am not sure where to get it taken to. I had it towed to my usual mechanic's shop yesterday morning.

ebygum1, Oct 17, 5:07pm
Yes, you can get a refund on your R.U.C. i guess there is a fee.

sw20, Oct 17, 5:14pm
Is it manual? The gearboxes in the diesel Corolla are worth really good coin. Lotus use them to mate up to Toyota's 3.5 litre V6 in the Evora.

sally63, Oct 17, 5:26pm
Yes it is. The car dealer said he would 'take it off my hands' and put my old tow bar on for $200 which seemed ok at the time but am having a rethink

tygertung, Oct 17, 7:21pm
Seems like a raw deal to me.

sally63, Oct 17, 7:36pm
Can you think of a better one? I would appreciate any advice. This is the first time in my dotage that I have had to buy a car on my own having lost my long life mate who was a tough bargainer

marte, Oct 17, 8:04pm
Can you sell it to those people who put Toyota's into shipping containers & send them to the Middle East?
There's a huge industry there fixing them back up & on selling them.
Good $$ for Toyota's, particularly diesels.

sw20, Oct 17, 9:30pm
The gearbox alone is at least a couple of thousand dollars.

sally63, Oct 17, 9:52pm
What, sw20? Where did you get that info from? I would love to get $2000 back.

Who are the middle Easter people please? Any contact info please?

sally63, Oct 17, 10:51pm
Yes I see what you mean sw20. I found a manual gearbox for sale for $1950.
But all removed and cleaned up etc. I don;t know how the average person can do this. Just advertise the vehicle "not going, as is, suitable parts"?

gunhand, Oct 17, 10:53pm
ERRRR, if you want to help ISIS etc then go for it. But old hiluxs etc have been known to be stolen and sent over to sandy places due to their reliability.

amasser, Oct 18, 10:11am
Altruism? Hmmm.

sw20, Oct 18, 10:23am
The gearbox in the diesel Corolla is an Aisin high torque BG6 unit. Very useful for other swaps. Yours will be an EA61. Lotus use a variant of it with different ratios for the Evora called the EA60. If someone wants to manual swap a Toyota Blade Master, they can use your gearbox. Or if someone wants to put a V6 into an MR2 they can also use your gearbox. Also it's a replacement for Mazdaspeed Axela.

You could take it to a mechanic you know, get them to take the gearbox out, then send the rest of the car to the scrappy. Ideally you should be able to get enough from the scrap man to pay the mechanic for removing the gearbox.

sally63, Oct 18, 11:16am
Thanks sw20

poppy62, Oct 18, 11:22am
Sally! what is the diagnosis on the car, why are you saying it's terminal? If you can tell us what the issue is it would be helpful. It would then afford us the chance to make suggestions that will yield you the best deal for your car. With a price range of $6.5k- $8.0k on the market the offers you have received ($200) are a joke.

sally63, Oct 18, 12:18pm
The fuel injectors went about 4 months ago and I had them replaced with reconditioned ones,($2500.The air con stopped 2 weeks ago. It stopped in traffic last week and would not turn over at all- the AA guy who tested it on the road said that was a bad sign.and that it looked like major engine damage. I had it towed to my mechanic- I have spent a lot of money on it in the last couple of years and do not want to spend any more-new alternator, new injectors, brakes etc and now it won't go at all. It is a 2008 diesel Toyota Corolla, manual drive, that has been regularly serviced and have owned for almost 12 years everything is up to date. Don't know what to do with it now. I suppose I could try selling it as is for parts? I know diesel parts are hard to come by and as sw20 (above) said the gearbox might be worth about $2000, generator about $400, transmission mount about $125 etc etc. The mechanic said I could spend another $1000 pulling it to bits for no result. It seems like throwing good money after bad to me

kazbanz, Oct 18, 3:50pm
sally-If at least the mechanic can diagnose the issue then you could advertise it for sale on some car sales website described honestly and see what happens.

bryalea, Oct 18, 4:10pm
I have a currently dead auto diesel corolla. What is the gearbox going to be worth? I am not sure if there is anything bad going on with it. Battery was flat and we haven't got back to it. Nothing wrong with the gearbox whatever is wrong. I see further in maybe 2k. interesting.

poppy62, Oct 18, 7:37pm
If I was in your position there are a couple of things i would try with a minimum outlay. first up I would advertise here on Trade Me for sale as a Registered and WOF car requiring engine attention. Set a reserve price that you are happy with (say $500.00) and have a start price of $400.00 (this is merely an example of what I'd do. Take the maximum photos (20) and highlight all the important stuff like the Interior, engine bay, tyres, Instruments with ignition on so that the KMS are displayed. Also good shots of the exterior panels and also a pic of the Registration sticker and WOF label. Discribe the overall condition and history of the car include the service records. and say what is possibly wrong with the car with a rundown on what has been replaced. If the car fails to attract a buyer after say a month, i would then look at selling the car through Turners Damaged car auctions in Palmerston north (closest to you) In fact it would pay to give them a call anyway and see what they say. The car itself may be an in demand model for either for wrecking or repairing. Turners will be able to give you some indication as to what you could expect to get for you car. Do put a reserve price on it.

sw20, Oct 18, 8:26pm
Auto gearbox? 5/8ths of sweet fanny adams. I was specifically talking about the manual box.

sally63, Oct 18, 9:54pm
Thanks for this Poppy. Most appreciated.

redhead18, Oct 18, 11:22pm
Just read post number 19.
Seems like you need a REAL mechanic as if they can not diagnose without disassembly then they are pretty damn useless.
12 years how many miles?
Could even be as simple as a failed starter motor.
After all how many miles?
When was cambelt last replaced?
After all 2.5K for injectors is um well damn near as bad as
! The mechanic said I could spend another $1000 pulling it to bits for no result. !
If ! The mechanic! Can Not do compression-or cyl leakage tests .
Get a decent one.