Petrol prices.

Page 1 / 2
paddyman, Jan 20, 7:54am
Just came back from Aussie and I see petrol is $1.30 a litre there compared to $2.00 here. I don't think the exchange rate is that far apart, is it just that we get bashed with so much f*#king tax, or what!

sw20, Jan 20, 7:58am
We have ACC in our fuel which is nearly 10c a litre. Along with an ETS scheme, and a higher rate of GST.

aragorn2003, Jan 20, 8:08am
so all in all we are getting heavily taken in the rear

mk3zephyr, Jan 20, 8:11am
i notice the price of a barrel had a decent fall today, Notice the oil companies arnt as quick to drop the prices as quick as they are to raise them

sandypheet, Jan 20, 8:33am
Twice our price in Ireland.

rayzor14, Jan 20, 9:03am
Hahahah, judging by the prices for non fuel items at your local Shell station they must be selling petrol at a huge loss.
To compensate they buy grocery items at less than supermarket prices, put a 400% markup on them and call it a convenience.
Until last night I had never seen a $9.00 packet of Tim Tams.

skyline_guy_r34, Jan 20, 9:06am
Only petrol station/convenience store in the immediate area! Owned by non 'english first language' speakers!

babytears, Jan 20, 9:06am
Fark!

rayzor14, Jan 20, 9:13am
Nope, 3 or 4 within a 2 min drive. No idea on ownership but I know they employ people who seem to speak no english at all. :P

jono2912, Jan 20, 9:31am
They're $5.50!

elect70, Jan 21, 2:07am
Yeah but buy petrol on friday night before long weekend & they rob ya extra 10 c litre or more& on weekends .When in Brisbaneused to drive around to see who had the best price , there used to be a good price war between servos .

mrfxit, Jan 21, 2:42am
The BIG franchise stations (store franchise holder/owners) like Mobil/ Caltex / Shell/ BP, have to BUY 95% of store items from the likes of Gilmores
Generall (in the past) Gilmores whole sale price to the franchise garages was about 10% dearer then the average supermarket RETAIL prices.
The franchises DICTATE 95% of store prices including shelf price /shelf volumes/ shelf placement etc etc.

Hence the markup in the franchise garages compared to supermarket & corner stores etc

chutneyman, Jan 21, 3:05am
hello sir,how are you sir,specials today sir are.(whilst constantly seeing a line of smiling white teeth) !Im sure NZ Immigration give these Ramjeets a welcome to NZ pack which consists of .
A job with a gas station or supermarket
A Toyota Corolla or Nissan Sunny
A Family dairy !

jono2912, Jan 21, 7:23am
Shell buy from Trents mainly. Also most of them make more money (as a percentage) on products in store than products on forecort (petrol oil etc) heck, they can't even their on lubricants cheaply. Supercheap repco etc sell them cheaper than they can buy them.

mrfxit, Jan 21, 8:39am
Yep Jono, same sort of wholesale outfit.
Gilmores for the Waikato unless it's changed with the sale/buyout of the franchise.
Been out of the circle for a couple of years now.

intrade, Jan 21, 8:00pm
what about the LPG ripoff we get served here. even in europe lpg is cheaper then here.

74nova, Jan 21, 8:41pm
I think the only time there'll be a change in lower petrol pricing is if there is a MASSIVE country wide protest against it where the majority of people take part to make it work. But that will never happen unless a bunch of people get together and start the organize something through facebook and the like.

wrong2, Jan 21, 9:16pm
petrol stations do not make much money on petrol

they are dependant on selling stuff instore

aragorn2003, Jan 21, 9:24pm
i think people should think about taking a stand , need to learn to stand up.

you see riots in europe and england. riots because the retirement age was going from 60 to 63 or the increase in student fees. Even if it doesn't work atleast people can say they stood up and didn't sit down and mumble about it

wrong2, Jan 21, 9:27pm
& how did those riots work out huh !

the student fees remain

the retirement age is going to increase

petrol still gets risen in price

"im going to torch this persons car to get back at the Government"

moosie_21, Jan 22, 2:51am
lol, the people of this country couldn't organise a riot/protest to save themselves. Unless the AB's lose, then it's all on! Can't wait til they choke this year!

chris_051, Jan 22, 8:35am
Hence why waiting in line for a pump is on the increase these days, there is no eftpos option at the pump, as most of the profits come from $5/bottle powerades and $3.50 choc bars.

rpee, Jan 22, 9:44am
I was in at my local mobil gas station this morning getting the paper.thats the only thing I buy apart from gas. A box of cereal 'Light & tasty' $10.50 who would pay that !

kevymtnz, Jan 22, 9:45am
its a rip i also just came bk from oz on thurs and filled the rental at 1.29.9
thinking that over the last 10+ yrs it was always around 30-35c more here so if you add 30+35 = 65 so yes we r being screwed big time by 30c+
+ NZ is in a very bad way after the prices of stuff in oz
just to add i had a Suzuki swift and stats as follows
kms =301 fuel = 18.7 k/L = 16.09 Mpg = 45.48 L/100 = 6.21

whynot7, Jan 22, 10:14am
i was in brisbane a few years ago , 6 or 8 maybe . and the service stations had to set the price for the next days petrol by about 4pm the previous day. . so if u were 2c a litre cheaper the radio stations would tell the listners wherethe cheapest gas was. also the qld govnment was subsidising petrol at 10c per litre to make it cheaper in qldto take some pressure of thequeenslanders. not sure if thats still the case .