Honest question, please inform.

djrandomguy, Jan 10, 9:14pm
Why does it cost twice as much to register my diesel hatchback as it does the same car powered by petrol!.

kazbanz, Jan 10, 9:47pm
Ask the ex minister of transport.

sifty, Jan 10, 10:07pm
and why does it cost so much to register a 1000cc roadbike that is slower and more forgiving than a 250cc road rocket.!

cjdnzl, Jan 10, 10:37pm
Because petrol vehicle users pay an ACC levy on petrol, but there is no levy on diesel, so the ACC component of diesel registration compensates.Apparently because large vehicles use diesel exclusively and a levy on diesel would be disproportionate to the ACC risk attached to trucks burning massive amounts of fuel.

vtecintegra, Jan 11, 1:01am
You'd think it'd be fairer to put the entire ACC component on the RUCs rather than registration though - that way people who drive more pay more.

motorway, Jan 11, 1:04am
They want your money.

suzzyk1, Jan 11, 6:33am
As you pay road tax when paying for petrol (why its darer), where as diesal you dont (why its cheaper), as most if not all heavy machinary like commercial fishing boats use diesal, and doesnt seem logical to paying road tax when putting fuel in your boat, or anything else that doesnt touch the road, or even land

chalkie51, Jan 11, 6:55am
So why do we have to pay road tax on petrol for a boat, and even a lawnmower!

40wav, Jan 11, 7:09am
I drive my lawnmower on the road.

smac, Jan 11, 8:02am
In certain circumstances you can claim it back.

taipan4, Jan 11, 9:01am
in the bad old good ole days they used to colour the petrol for your tractor
& the farmer or contractor could claim back for offroad usage, but if you were caught using the fuel in your car then things could get sticky.
I"m not sure but they might still do that in the uk, Policing this system is obviously a nightmare for all concerned

stacie_nz, Jan 12, 7:55am
mot