Subaru question.help please

kristafin, Feb 25, 7:40am
i have a 1996 legacy rs .it crapped out today stuck down at kids school for the night.and been told we need a new fuel pump, we dont have the cash to go buy a new one but have been offered one from a friend but its from a 99 legacy b4.will it be compatible with my car! cheers

mugenb20b, Feb 25, 7:44am
Not sure on that one, but either way, the old fuel pump needs to come out anyway. Once it's out, you can compare them.

cassandra13, Feb 25, 7:49am
hmm. where abouts are you, i may be able to help

kristafin, Feb 25, 8:11am
hmm yes this is true and so obvious not you have stated that lol.stressful day

kristafin, Feb 25, 8:12am
opps i mean now

tazcsv, Feb 25, 8:29pm
Did you have someone who knows what they are looking at or is it just a mate who told you its the fuel pump!

intrade, Feb 25, 8:44pm
i find most times subaru stop because the airflow meter has died.
you probably should look if there is a fault code stored the 96 model be morse code you can also reset the ecu as some dont have a airflow meter. and it can be dirt causing it to shut down. i had that whiped the faults and it started again then cleand intake throttle as the error showed something with airflow and since there was no airflow the local subaru guy told me to clean the throttle as that could be it and it was , next fault was missfire 3 weeks later. Usually best to change plugs after you clean intake as it eats all the dirt you clean off the intake.
So first i be doing is check for fault write down codes and reset it. the fans will start spinning on and off when it resets the computer.but get any fault code out first so you got a idea where the fault might be .

intrade, Feb 25, 8:46pm

funkydunky, Feb 25, 9:21pm
a faulty fuel pump can often start and idle okay, but just no power when under load. I'd be looking at electrics - oh and check fuel in tank first!