Toyota import question

Page 1 / 2
beetle18, Feb 22, 5:21am
All other things being equal (price, condition), would you go for a younger car with higher kms (103000) or and older car with 71000 km on the clock?
The older is a 2004 Toyota Mark X 250 GS and the younger a 2006 version of the same car.

budgel, Feb 22, 5:39am
32000 isnt much to a modern car, I would probably go for the newer vehicle because it will fetch a better price when you sell it.

Another way to do it is toss a coin and see how you feel about the outcome.

beetle18, Feb 22, 5:55am
Thanks budgel. Hadn't thought of the reselling issue, but I suspected that the difference in kms might not be really significant. Appreciate your input.

audi_s_ate, Feb 22, 6:15am
Get it checked out, only run it on 98 fuel - they tend to coke-up due to direct injection - same engine in the is250, check reviews on this to be aware of issues that can come up.

intrade, Feb 22, 6:19am
are you wanting to import one your self?

beetle18, Feb 22, 6:34am
Yes, we were told it would need the higher octane fuel.
No, not importing; we are buying from a dealer.

intrade, Feb 22, 6:45am
ok because importing your self if far more involved with frontal impact standard and needing euro 4 emission engine and there like
basically you want the older engine when buying a toyota the newer the more trouble it will make.

beetle18, Feb 22, 7:02am
Why's that, intrade? Are you speaking generally, or about the Mark X in particular?

westwyn, Feb 22, 7:23am
All the Mark X models are Japan 2005 emission rated (i.e. compliant for NZ), and frontal impact is a bit of a dinosaur now, most stuff complied in 1994!

westwyn, Feb 22, 7:27am
And this may sound irrelevant, but if your choice includes a Mark-X with the dark grey / charcoal cloth interior, choose this over the light tan colour. For both resale and family-friendly usage, this is the way to go!

Good choice with the Mark-X, they're really nice driving cars and I think good value for money- a true rear-wheel-drive platform at affordable pricing. And no- I haven't heard of any fuel issues with them, although a few ARE turning up with engine checklight issues (and I'm sorry, but I don't know what the cause is, I've never had one with that issue to have first-hand knowledge).

intrade, Feb 22, 7:28am
general rule for any toyota bullet proof no more if its to new .

beetle18, Feb 22, 7:55am
Westwyn, thank you for your informed comments, will certainly keep them in mind. They are a lovely looking car, good to hear they perform well too.

tamarillo, Feb 22, 8:19am
Personally I favour older car with less miles but. being import it might not mean a thing what it shows, they can fiddle them without detection, so what really counts is feel and tightness. Which car feel newer? To drive, to open doors, glove box, to see upholstery and carpets?
Some cars feel lose and worn even at Lower km.

beetle18, Feb 22, 8:25am
Thanks tamarillo. Not had a good look at them yet (one is still in transit), but we'll certainly check those areas. I have confidence in the dealer though.

andy61, Feb 22, 11:55pm
Your first mistake is having confidence in a dealer- never trust a car dealer lol

beetle18, Feb 23, 12:12am
I had a feeling that comment of mine might provoke a response like that Andy. left myself wide open there :>)
But I do. It's a biggish Christchurch business and we've been really impressed by the particular young man we've been dealing with. Doesn't mean we accept what we're told without doing our homework, but I really don't think he's out to mislead us in anyway. I am a business woman myself, so I understand that the bottom line is to do what's best for the business, but I don't think that necessarily means that you don't act with honesty and integrity. Well, that's what I prefer to believe anyway ;>))

tamarillo, Feb 23, 12:22am
Good on you, there are many dealers I would happily buy from again, many that have long term reputation to protect at.
Indeed some cars I've looked at can have same asking price at dealer than private seller (who often hasn't realised how much prices have dropped and assumes it's worth X percentage of what they paid) so why the heck go private with no protection (and in this case protection doesn't remove the fun).
Some years back I bought a trade in low km NZ new Citreon from dealer who sold it new and traded it back. Sight unseen I turned up to pay and they were amused I didn't ask to go look at it first. I knew it would be fine and at price I paid wasn't going to get fussy. It was better than I hoped and still serves a friend we sold it to very well.

tamarillo, Feb 23, 12:27am
Question please, what is it? It's an Asian market only car I see, but looks a lot like Lexus and is rear wheel drive? Are parts very much like Lexus bits, and what's parts supply like here?
Can the display be changed to English, this is a real turn off for me as insist on English display, and this being an Asian market car wondering if it can be changed?
Nice looking motor I must say.

westwyn, Feb 23, 12:40am
I know Andy's comment is intended to go fishing. and I'm taking the bait. :-/ but really- 95% of all car dealers are straight-up people like everybody else, business people who happen to deal in cars. out of the 3500-odd RMVT's currently in NZ, you hear bad press (and usually consistent) about 20 or 30 of them. The majority of them know damn well that the prospects of long-term survival in this business revolve around customer service and retention- and that means good customer service and value for money.

I sometimes wonder if it's a cardinal sin to want to make a profit on the cars we sell as Traders accoring to some people. I mean, we all want to work for free, right? if you take the total investment a typical Trader has in their stock alone at any given time, and think what might be an acceptable nett margin after all costs, GST and tax, you might sometimes wonder what the hell we do it for. In 99% of the cases, it's all about volume, not per-unit high netts. If that means a $10,000 margin in a $150,000 car (thinking high-end Euro stock here) then to me, that's an acceptable margin to have.

Of the remaining 5% who I'd say may be less than trustworthy, well, it's usually pretty evident who they are from a conversation or three. It's no different to the odd dairy owner, workshop, small business, cafe or any other owner-operator business. Most are excellent, ot trying hard to be. A few are dogs. I don't walk into my local tyre shop expecting to be ripped off.

You'd also be surprised just how many absolute bare-faced lies and acts of deceipt we, as Traders, hear from the general public. If it's not OK for a Trader to tell porkies, apparantly it's OK however to deceive the Trader.
-"No, there's no money owing on my car at all."
-"I've got great credit, never had a problem. You don't need to check."
-"There's no issue whatsoever with my trade-in, it drives beautifully".
-"No, no overheating issues at all. That copper sheen is just the antifreeze I use"
-"That dent was definately there when you valued the car a week ago."
-"The phots you took must be lying. That dent was NOT there."
-"I'll be there in an hour. Can you stay open for me and hold the car?"
-"I"ve seen one cheaper that yours, half the km, two years newer, a nice colour and it's half your price. What's your cash price?"
"I know we agreed on a cash price. What's your LOWEST price?"
-"I'm sure it had those tyres on it when you valued it to trade."
-"I can assure you, it goes into all the gears."
-"I haven't borrowed the deposit. I had this money as cash all along".
-"My brother's mate has one he's imported, he says it's non-accident and in top condition. What's your cash price?"
-"My son is a careful driver, he would never burn out a clutch doing illegal activities. He didn't even know it was a turbo."
"I did NOT leave my light on."

Ha ha.
Bottom line- if your instinct is to trust the vendor of the car, you're probably right. There are some good traders in Christchurch.

beetle18, Feb 23, 12:58am
Thanks westwyn, I do agree.
Tamarillo, well, there are 3 cars we are interested in, 2 are still in transit, and another we will test drive next weekend. One is a Honda Inspire 3000cc, 2004 and done about 70, 000km. Nice leather seats;)
The others are 2006 and a 2004 Toyota Mark X 250 GS. I gave a bit more detail in my original post. They are $4000 more than the Inspire.
Yes, I was thinking about the availability of parts for the Mark Xs, but there seem to be quite a few of these cars in NZ now but as you said, they were originally made for he domestic market. The dealer has their own service centre in Christchurch, so feel reasonably confident about on going maintenance. I think they are a gorgeous looking car. to be honest, I'm not really a girl who notices cars, but I saw one of these parked on the road and was so impressed I looked to find out what it was, showed the husband pictures later, and so expanded our search for another car to include the Toyota mark X.

buyit59, Feb 23, 1:37am
Hi Beetle , Heres my 2c worth ! The 103km car DOSENT scare me one little bit ( I have no mechanical ability ) as the 100km is the maximum many people will buy at. but then they tend to drive it to over 100km. ie buying it when it is most desirable ( and generally more expensive ) and selling it when it is most undesirable - so you may as well buy when you can make the most use of your $$$$$ . Of course if you do very limited mileage then the 70km one gives you a few years before you hit that terrifying 100km speedo reading ! I would also not get to hung up on 2004 or 2006 but would be buying the later model one if it was in a new decade. ie 2010 rather than 2009 cos 2009 seems sooooo much older - its all in my head though isnt it. And agree with Westwynn - not all dealers are bad. All the best !

westwyn, Feb 23, 1:47am
Beetle18, the Mark-X has been a very successful car in the home market (Japan) selling tens of thousands (if not over 100,000) units. That they're not exported has NOTHING to do with their quality (despite what some people think, you need to understand the dynamics of not only the Japanese automotive industry, but the global ones too).

They are coming to NZ in increasing numbers as they have reached a value 'sweet spot" to be imported- the combination of (a) what we have to pay for them in Japan, (b) what they sell for here in NZ and (c) the exchange rate as a link.

Parts are not an issue- Toyota are good at the whole "parts bin" approach (in general) and your local Toyota dealer has pretty much everything available, if not on the shelf, ex Palmerston North. Panel parts etc (should you need them) are coming along as dismantlers import wrecking-only stock (front cuts especially) and those already here succumb to the joys of Kiwi motoring standards!

Toyota are very, very good at building excellent rear-wheel-drive platform cars. Yes, I'm biased, I've owned (and raced) a LOT of them over the years and would hot hesitate to do so again.

My only concern is Toyota dropped the God-like 2JZ-GTE 3-litre twin-turbo engine as it couldn't meet Japan 2005 emissions. one of the world's best engines consigned to history. Put THAT into a Mark-X and, well. :-) :-) :-)

gmphil, Feb 23, 1:51am
westwyn

my old neibours had one those motors in 1988 wot would have bein 2.8i Cressida couple to a r154 . quick car for sure

kazbanz, Feb 23, 4:11am
ohh REALLY--do tell.
So a persons profession decides their honesty does it?

kazbanz, Feb 23, 4:21am
have you considered an option 3- look further afield at one with the lower km's and the later year for the same money?
just putting it out there