VW Passat 2002 - V5 - 2.3

monaro17, Apr 22, 2:40am
You have answered your own question. If you know little or nothing about cars take it to a mechanic

budgel, Apr 22, 2:48am
I have come across VWs with coolant sender problems that give intermittent display of the warning light, so check that too.
If you choose to do it yourselves, make sure you use the VW specific coolant for your model.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 22, 3:00am
As above, VW's MUST MUST MUST run the correct G13 VW coolant. So whatever you do don't let anyone talk you in to running anything else. The consequences of running the wrong stuff can cost you thousands. (can explain the mechanics of this if you really want).

The V5 is chain driven which means the coolant change is often neglected as is a waterpump change (these things are done at big service time on a timing belt driven engine).

Also, the coolant shouldn't really move hardly at all over time. So with this in mind, here is what I suggest you do.

First, top it up with water to the "full" line when cold. Then check that the light stops flickering (to test the sensor) and that the level doesn't move over a week or two.

Then, once that is sorted. Either way it would be wise to at minimum have the coolant flushed and changed to the correct stuff diluted with de-mineralised water to the correct dilution. Really though, if it was my car I would probably be replacing the water pump, even if it's not already leaking (which I am a bit suspicious of).

It is a bit of a pain to get to if I remember rightly on the V5. But it's worth doing, not just because a normal water pump would be near the end of it's life at that age but because at that year it likely has one of the original plastic impeller pumps which were known for dropping their fins and overheating the car. The new plastic impeller pumps use a better plastic so are perfectly fine as a replacement (just pre-empting someone telling you to fit a metal one, it's not necessary and actually has disadvantages).

Anyhow, hopefully that will help you out a bit. Also. if it's an automatic one. I would be getting that transmission filter and oil changed/flushed a.s.a.p.

Incidentally, Burger motor works (think that's what they are called) up your way seems to be very reasonable for VW servicing such as this, and should be able to be relied upon to do things properly.

tamarillo, Apr 22, 3:51am
Listen to jazz, I do.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 22, 3:59am
Thanks tamarillo,

BTW OP, I forgot to mention, my advice above assumes no prior documented service history and that you can't call the garage that has been looking after it to find out what's been done and when.

VW Coolant should be changed at least every 5 years despite it being called "lifetime" coolant.

henderson_guy, Apr 22, 4:03am
Since it's over 10 years old, it could well be an electrical gremlin that these older euros seem to develop. I've been towed myself thanks to these very gremlins.

the.wife, Apr 22, 6:57am
You and jazzman are not mechanics.

the.wife, Apr 22, 7:01am
You can check coolant level yourselves, it will have a large screw on cap on top of a round plastic reservoir.

My advice would be to take the car to a garage and get a full cooling system check, hopefully the head gasket is OK.

a.woodrow, Apr 22, 7:02am
What was wrong with the advice given? Or are you just a lame troll?

a.woodrow, Apr 22, 7:04am
Funnily enough this is what Jazz said in post 4.

the.wife, Apr 22, 7:07am
I don't know, there was too much to read, I switched off after the first paragraph.

supernova2, Apr 22, 7:10am
Are you?

thejazzpianoma, Apr 23, 2:44am
For anything a bit substantial it would likely be worth the trip to Burgers, we had a poster on here that got work done on his Golf for $1500 that I have priced at $2000 - $2500 most other places. Coolant top up isn't substantial though, just mentioning for next time.

Sorry I am not from up your way so can't recommend anywhere else other than Qualitat (who would still be 20 minutes from New Lynn).

If you start a thread for a poster called "haventrader" he may well know of some, as may some of the others.

BTW. if your coolant only needs topping up a little bit (say half a cup or so). It should be fine to just use water, ideally you should be using de-mineralised water (I use "pure dew" from the supermarket) but tap water would be OK for just a little top up. The reason it's OK is because when you actually put the coolant in, in the first place it is a concentrate that you mix with water. A little extra water won't do any harm, and the dilution rate isn't super critical, so long as it's about right. There is no reason you can't do this yourself, just ask if you need more detailed instructions.

Just make sure the coolant isn't green, if it's green it's got the wrong stuff in it and you need to rectify that a.s.a.p. This is a good test of whoever has been looking after it. I would also check through the service records and make sure that the waterpump has indeed been replaced at some point and the transmission serviced recently. You would be amazed how many places say they have been "fully servicing" a vehicle but have missed such things.

Best of luck with it all.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 23, 3:00am
One other thing I meant to mention.

A poster above mentioned that the coolant container would be round. It is round (actually spherical) with many later VW's, but if my memory serves me correct this isn't the case with the Passat V5.

It is in a very prominent position though (big angular container right in front of you) and it should have a blue cap with a steam symbol on it. The coolant inside should be a meths purple type colour. Take a picture and post it if you are in doubt, your manual should also show you what to do.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 27, 1:19pm
You are most welcome. Feel free to hit me up with questions anytime.