Nissan Note 2005 gearbox problem

ann7, Feb 13, 8:18pm
We recently bought a Nissan Note 2005 import about 100,000km. It has a problem where the engine runs at too high revs, especially notable if no pressure on the accelerator -can whizz along about 40kph! The mechanic we have taken it to has been trying to get the computer part necessary second hand, but no luck. We can either get a new one (about $700) or wait. However our daughter wants to take the car down to Wellington (from Auckland) shortly. What is the likely scenario if the gearbox fails? Will it be dangerous? IS it likely to get there? Any helpful feedback appreciated (And yes, we are at fault for not getting the car checked out independently)

poppy62, Feb 13, 8:31pm
Your Mechanic is telling you fibs. He probably has been too busy to get on the phone to find the part. Just ask him what part is required and phone the Wreckers yourself. There will be lots available.

tamarillo, Feb 13, 8:39pm
I'm trying to figure why it does that. Assuming it is a throttle cable not fly by wire, then why will computer do this? .feul injection? Or is this simply the cvt box doing its thing?
Any owners or mechanics?

ann7, Feb 13, 8:40pm
OK, will do. He says that it is a common problem with this car and that they are difficult to come by.

ann7, Feb 13, 8:41pm
Mechanic says there is no throttle cable. Accelerator directly impacts the computer, I guess like a mouse on a computer.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 13, 8:46pm
ann7, I can put you in touch with someone who is pretty much guaranteed to have the part you need and can provide advice as well. The only catch is the TM rules as I can't give my contact details and I am not willing to post the other persons details on this forum.

There is no personal gain involved here. If you can get permission from TM or figure a way around this that isn't breaking any rules I am more than happy to help.

Also. how long is "shortly" is she leaving today or in a few days?

I would suggest you get her the premium AA membership (not sure what it's called it's on their website) where they will transport a broken down vehicle back to your home or or choice of repairer (as opposed to the nearest one) before she leaves. It's probably not going to be inherently dangerous if it fails further, but you have to consider the possibility of extra damage being done in the meantime and to some degree any drive train issue can be dangerous in the wrong situation. (failure while passing etc)

ann7, Feb 13, 8:49pm
thejazzpianoma wrote:
ann7, I can put you in touch with someone who is pretty much guaranteed to have the part you need and can provide advice as well. The only catch is the TM rules as I can't give my contact details and I am not willing to post the other persons details on this forum.

Thanks, I will have think about that, and get back to you.

ann7, Feb 13, 8:50pm
Also. how long is "shortly" is she leaving today or in a few days?

Not until the 25th Feb, so got nearyl two weeks.

kazbanz, Feb 13, 9:02pm
Ann--I can tell you for 100% certain your problem is that the vehicle is in the hands of a mechanic rather than an auto electrician.
No disrespect to mechanics but you wouldn't have a heart guy fix your eyes would you?
without talking specifics-where in Auckland are you? -west/south/east/north?

ann7, Feb 13, 9:18pm
Good point. We are Central.

kazbanz, Feb 13, 9:47pm
Something about your description of the fault is bugging me.
Im thinking this MAY require a reset.
Im NOT saying for a second Im correct here but I have the feeling the fault is something that a NISSAN franchise workshop has the tools to rectify.
Before doing anything just make a call to nissans service department.

mechnificent, Feb 13, 10:24pm
I agree with Kaz. they might reprogram your ecu/computer.

Also, if this is a common problem, a second hand part might be well on it's way to failing. Often when there is a common problem they modify the part and it's best to buy the superseded part new.

poppy62, Feb 13, 10:29pm
As a foot note Mech the second hand part may be a superseded unit that had been installed before the vehicle was written off.

mechnificent, Feb 13, 10:30pm
Yeah Poppy it might be. or not. the number on the part should tell. but wreckers will sell any part.

intrade, Feb 13, 11:05pm
2005 a lot of component need coding nissan are a,nightmare and toyota are not far better , i looked thru the list of stuff i could do with my software if i was to buy the nissan or toyota specific software. components need to be relearned with a oem original equipment - manufacturer capable scantool
like to name one! of loads of special functions i was scrolling thru automatic transmission "clutch start point adaption" relearn function.
and i can also guarantee you a throttle body on a 2005 nissan needs to have a relearn for the throttle initiated with a special function nissan capable scanner . For example idle-adaption relearn function.
this is needed to be done once the throttle has been cleaned , or it will start hunting up and down rpm. If there was a big change can even result in a no start after untill you relearn the throttle to its new position, as thats what the relearn does . You should also not go messing with relearns just nilly willi of course as you could just relearn it on a dirty throttle and it be fine untill it goes out of range with more dirt and then a parts-changer puts a new part on and it wont run at all with the new part because it needs coding in the new component to the car. again with a oem capbable scanner.

Also i dont say that is whats wrong this is a example of what can be out of a hell of a lot more things on a 2005 nissan depending on its emission class ,

mechnificent, Feb 13, 11:21pm
Cars "learn" to run better. not worse.

And Nissan have always been one of the more use friendly makes when it comes to tweaking factory settings. They have more preset programmable variables than any other maker I know.
They also have a lot of factory/dealer updates for their programs.

It would be worth taking this car to a dealer. If it came to me, that's the first thing I'd recommend. Take it in to the dealers and get their opinion. If they didn't have a clue then bring it back to me. There is a time and place to fiddle. and a time and place to ask the dealer.

mechnificent, Feb 13, 11:26pm
Have you looked at things like "Enginuity" Intrade.

jason18, Feb 15, 1:21am
I had something similar with my Nissan wingroad. I had cleaned the throttle body and put back together. Was revving awfully high. Turned out it needed to have the values reset by Nissan and that was all it was. 70 dollar fix

mechnificent, Feb 15, 2:05am
The first thing that all the books say the techy should do is go through all the service and adjustments. do a standard sort of tune and filters, hose check etc in other words.

ann7, Jun 14, 3:41pm
Thanks for all your comments. Am taking it to Nissan service dept on Friday. Will update thread as to outcome. Hoping it is an adjustment or throttle cleanout.