Caravan owners

kam04, Jan 26, 1:35am
I was told yesterday that tandem axel caravans tow easier in the wind than single axel caravans, true or false. I thought there wouldn't be much difference seeing that tandem vans are usually bigger meaning more area for the wind to catch.

woody1946, Jan 26, 1:55am
Not all tandem vans are bigger. we had a 16' tandem. Generally tandems tow better, and are less weight on the drawbar if loaded correctly

tony9, Jan 26, 2:18am
For the same shape and size a tandem axle trailer will react less to side winds.

Downside of tandem axles is a wee bit more power needed to pull them, and a lot harder to maneuver by hand.

kam04, Jan 26, 5:40am
Thanks. I'm looking at buying a tandem and thought I would check it out and get other comments.

ml6989, Jan 26, 9:35am
Wind and caravans are never a good mix in terms of towing. A caravan has the aerodynamics of a brick. I have a 20ft English caravan on single axle and it tows well. Generally away once a month in it. Tandem will probably give the ability to have greater pay load. I tend to load the vehicle as opposed to loading caravan. Down side of tandem is two lots of tyres and hub bearings to maintain and probably doubling your chances of a flat tyre. I certainly find a single axle easy to man handle where a tandem would be less friendly unless it had motor movers.

kam04, Jul 21, 7:51pm
Thanks for your comments.