Does a car service usually include a tune up

Page 2 / 2
unbeatabull, Sep 7, 5:50am
I'd like to see proof. Where i work, one of hte largest dealers in Christchurch, pays more per litre at cost then what you can buy off the shelf at The Warehouse for the exact same oil. Warehouse/Repco etc are cheaper to get oil from then what a dealer/garage can at COST price.

bono111, Sep 7, 6:03am
If you dont like what they charge do it yourself if you cant shut stop complaining and just pay pretty simple really.

carmedic, Sep 7, 6:11am
bob1120 wrote:

What a rort. Clearly they are ripping you off big time.
Just like the time I got this Lawyer to write a letter for me, Bic pen $1.50, piece of paper .04c equals $1.54 & yet the prick charged me $343.30![/quote
Those bic pens are less than that the lawyer would be buying them and the paper in bulk!

bmwnz, Sep 7, 7:08am
My wife just had an oil/filter change last week. $75 all up at Oil Changers Palmerston North. About 10 mins while you wait. Yes, I could maybe do it cheaper myself, but to be honest, I can't be arsed any more and I'm happy to pay $75 for someone else to do it.

gadgit3, Sep 7, 7:19am
Haha I work in a workshop and I questioned your suggestion because we CAN'T give you 4L of oil for $20
Yes we buy in bulk but it's a better grade then found on the shelf at repco as castrol wont sell our grade to repco so the grade is exclusive to workshops and our buy in price is more then the sell price off the shelf or the lower grade at repco.
And no we don't just buy in 4L cheap packs so as we can service your car.

frytime, Sep 7, 7:27am
same here, were in wellington

supernova2, Sep 7, 7:35am
Many years ago my mate got his castrol in 210 ltd drums.Suddenly changed to pallets of 4ltr packs.WTF says I!Castrol agent could supply the pallet lot for less that the drum.All to do with supply and demand etc.Much better at the wshop no grubby drums, no drum pumps leaking, no measue jugs dribbling everywhere and attaracting moths and who knows what in the bottom.Also office girl could move the bulk stock - remember 70s and miniskirts.say no more.lol

gadgit3, Sep 7, 7:39am
Lol I would hate to fill our 3 2000L tanks with 4L packs every month

mugenb20b, Sep 7, 7:41am
Tune up for that car (assuming it's not a diesel) would include: Spark plug change, clean or replace air filter, check ignition timing, replace fuel filter (maybe), check vacuum and air intake hoses, HT leads, distributor cap and rotor. Check and adjust valve clearances, maybe (but this can be time consuming if you have a 16 valve engine).

tgray, Sep 7, 7:45am
If that was the case for the same oil as you say, they would be buying it at warehouse/repco. If not, it doesn't make good business sense does it!

supernova2, Sep 7, 7:46am
Why would you fill 3000 ltr tanks.Just use the 4l pack as and when you need.

gadgit3, Oct 12, 1:05pm
Because 6000L in 4L packs takes up alot of room.
Filling from a 4L is untidy
You cant buy the Castrol grade we use in 4L packs
At the end of the month we would need to get rid of a crap load of plastic containers if we bought in 4L packs
Theres a few reasons