Do you think it is bad to coast up to lights!

Page 1 / 2
leensheen, Sep 5, 6:13am
i remember being told you shouldn't coast up to the lights (red light obviously) with the clutch in because you are not in control of the car.

I don't really see the point of putting that extra wear on the clutch of downshifting 4-3-2-1. Of course in some situations depending on speed / closeness i downshift from 4th to 3rd and maybe 2nd, but most of the time if i am at 50k's in 4th and have heaps of room infront of me i just downshift to 3rd then put the clutch in and roll the rest of the way.

crzyhrse, Sep 5, 6:18am
Transferring minimal wear on the clutch for maximum wear on the brakes. Good thinking!

superfreek, Sep 5, 6:20am
I was recently told by a driving instructor the best way to get up to lights was to just downshift. so downshift all the way to second and only actually touch the breaks to come to a complete stop. It means you still have full control of your car, you can stop at anytime. If it's a red light there's no point getting there any faster and if the light changes to green it means you can keep going which is good for gas and it saves you having to start.

morrisman1, Sep 5, 6:22am
Depends on how fast I am going and whether the fuel cut-off during Over-run will be significant. If it is then then Ill use the gears but in town I usually go from 5th to 3rd then clutch in once at the bottom of third. Thinking about it, unless I anticipate rolling through the intersection then I would rarely use engine braking below 3rd gear

Brake pads are cheap, clutches not so.

m16d, Sep 5, 6:33am
If ya on a motorbike, change down through all 6 gears.

skin1235, Sep 5, 6:50am
in the last 45 mts, then when you get a green change up through those 6 again - redlining in every one and be just in time to change down all 6 for the next set of lights

oh hang on, thats what you do in cars, dunno 'bout on bikes

richardmayes, Sep 5, 7:23am
Brake pads, installed, are a lot cheaper than a clutch!

superfreek, Sep 5, 7:25am
Like ^^

lookoutas, Sep 5, 7:29am
I just tend to drive my car appropriately. Or should that be - properly!

Then again - where I come from - "What are lights!"

rscozzie, Sep 5, 7:33am
u must hav a pretty shitty clutch if its going to wear just buy down shifting be for traffic lights haha

davie54, Sep 5, 8:34am
every time u put ur foot on the clutch its engaged, so if u want to coast take the car out of gear and take ur foot off the pedal.

crzyhrse, Sep 5, 9:06am
But the wear on a clutch from a up or down change is immeasurably miniscule. Unless you're not a very good driver.

elect70, Sep 6, 2:52am
Naput in lower gearthen you can accelerate away at the light if it turns green before you stop .

stevel_knievel, Sep 6, 3:00am
Why aren't you in control of the car! Does it have a poltergeist that only comes out when the clutch is in!

morrisman1, Sep 6, 3:09am
apparently steve, I remember doing defensive driving and was told not to coast. I politely didnt say anything then reverted back to normal after the drive. Her reasoning was lack of control but I struggle to see how the clutch would affect control when coming up to lights. I could counter argue that because the engine is still engaged the rate of deceleration will not be linear or as predictable as with the clutch down and hence the vehicle would be less controllable. That theory is particularly apparent in the peugeot 405 diesel, once it gets down to idle speed the engine will try to maintain idle speed so will immediately stop slowing. The first time it caught me out and nearly caused me to drive straight through the garage door as it suddenly launched forwards as it was slowing down with the clutch engaged

leensheen, Sep 6, 3:26am
yea thats what i dont get, if your rolling up to a red light what the hek is going to happen. I think i will just keep doing as i am doing, as i said i downshift anyway, it is just the way i was told was like you should never roll with the clutch in NEVER!, Of course it all depends on the situation but space ahead / speed etc but usually from 4th at 50k's i downshift 3rd gear then put the clutch in and roll for a bit
if the light changes to green i let the clutch out in 2nd and take off
If i have to come to a stop i downshift 2nd for a short while then put the clutch in again and stop or if i am going slow enough by that stage i just put the brakes on and stop

freedomaira320, Sep 6, 3:38am
Coasting with the clutch pedal down would have to be one of the worst driving practices around. I can't imagine any good driver ever doing it. You've got an engine to assist the brakes with the slowing (or maybe do all the slowing without the use of the brakes if the light changes in time). What purpose would disengaging that useful slowing device have! The extra wear on brake pads would far exceed any wear on the clutch, not to mention the fact that you are quite a bit less in control of the vehicle when your relying on your left foot to hold down spring loaded pedal for longer than required.

freedomaira320, Sep 6, 3:46am
Actually, coasting with your foot on the clutch causes more wear to both brakes and clutch. The brakes have to do more work because they aren't being assisted by the engine, and holding the clutch pedal down is actually making the clutch work harder against it's own springs. Its natural state is engaged, it is under tension when it is disengaged.

crzyhrse, Sep 6, 5:08am
Or the release bearing if you're not coasting in neutral without the clutch depressed.

flybye_in_a_rx7, Sep 6, 5:26am
i have always thought it wasn't good practice to coast along with the clutch in. perhaps its more of a politics thing, if someone done that when i was driving with them i would think that they weren't a good driver as it gives the impression that the driver cant control the clutch and gears properly, perhaps those people are better off with autos then they wont have to worry about the clutch at all or the 'clutch wear'

peja, Sep 6, 5:39am
I've always coasted up to lights, mind you I have an auto which is different. Hasnt resulted in any brake wear that I've noticed, still on the same set of disc pads at 240,000 km's. I may have had a new set put in shortly after I got the car around 2001 and 70,000 kms but I just cant remember. I do have a spare set I got at around 200,000 kms thinking they'd be due sometime soon, they're still sitting in a box downstairs and the originals are still good and passing warrants without comment

poppajn, Sep 6, 5:58am
I don,t put my auto in N to coast up to the lights, to me haveing a manuel coasting up would be less control, i.e. if you stopped short, so no harder on the auto in gear than a manual box. For me, change down but stay in gear.

mantagsi, Sep 6, 7:44am
I'll downshift out of force of habit but as previous posters have stated, if you are doing it in an appropriate fashion, wear on the clutch is bugger all.

r15, Sep 6, 8:58am
all you guys must be formula 1 drivers at all times.
sure coasting isnt best practise, but who really gives a toss, brake pads are cheap, normal cars brakes never even get hot unless your being an idiot in it, and its definately the easiest / laziest way

lugee, Sep 6, 11:44am
I only downshift to 3rd when coming to a stop, my gearing allows me to be almost at a stop in 3rd with the engine going at about 600rpm. I would downshift into 2nd but I have worn synchros on that gear and double clutching at a red light makes you look like a douche. If the light goes green when I'm near a stop I can double clutch into 2nd and take off. Though depending on the situation I will occasionally coast in neutral up to a stop or lights if there is a downward incline leading up to it.

A clutch is a friction device, no matter how good the clutch is, using it is going to cause wear.