EL Fairmont for $1000

Page 2 / 3
morrisman1, Sep 15, 11:55am
because it is a european car with you beloved 1.8 turbo engine. What you have told me is that VW cannot do economy and power in the same engine but then in every other post you say the opposite. Can VW not do efficient automatic transmissions either! That is excluding the DSG of course.

I can see exactly what you do, you pick some really good european cars and try to spin that all euros are just as good. At the same time you pick some average jappas and then try to spin that all jappas are inferior to european cars in any conceivable way.

It is not random vehicle confusion. I used that vehicle as an example because it has the same engine that you recommend to lots of people on here as being economical, reliable and powerful.

don_logan, Sep 15, 11:57am
Sorry here is the link.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/volkswagen-golf-fsi-sportline/story-e6frg8gx-1111112107846

Just one of many with that conclusion.

I have been having a quick look around and having trouble finding a real world figure quoted of 4.7l /100km.

To save me searching more, I'm guessing you will have a reputable independent review on the net to corroborate that statement!
It would save me a few hours searching to settle my curiosity

morrisman1, Sep 15, 11:57am
When I get the ute on the road Ill report back the economy but I am expecting sub 6L/100km out of a 40 year old engine in a 60 year old body design while cruising along at 2011 paces. Powered by nissan of course!

morrisman1, Sep 15, 12:00pm
of course he doesn't! Just like nobody can argue the 5 adults in a punto hauling easily up a steep hill because nobody can get enough chloroform to get 5 people in a punto.

It would do you reputation miracles if you were able to show you were saying the truth once in a while jazz

thejazzpianoma, Sep 15, 12:03pm
Fair enough, normally I would direct you to one of those sites like fuely where people post their actual milage, trouble is that site only really has the Diesel Golfs listed.
This might give you some idea though. Scroll down this page and you will see this couple managed 4.3l/100km over 3800km in one. Now in fairness no one drives like they do on a daily basis.
However it shouldn't take much of a leap of imagination to understand that on the open road the average person could see 4.8l/100km with relaxed 100km/h driving.
http://www.fuelacademy.com/world_record_drives.html

thejazzpianoma, Sep 15, 12:05pm
I gave up on you when you couldn't understand how electric power steering could save fuel. Go and troll elsewhere, your constant need to try and discredit things you have absolutely zero first hand knowledge of is tiring.

One day you might hopefully grow up and realise that calling people a a liar over things you have not seen/tried yourself is never wise.

morrisman1, Sep 15, 12:07pm
LOL I love it how you link to a page with world economy records, full of other cars, many japanese, with amazing economy figures trying to convince people that golf is somewhat unique. Hell theres even a landcruiser there that did 59MPG!

v8_mopar, Sep 15, 12:07pm
Its a 98 wingroad and the diff is how you have to drive it. The falcon can be driven at 2000rpm for most of the trip even when passing but the nissan at the same speed is spinning faster and when over taking you need to floor it to 7000rpm. Would jazz crap be the same when driven like that, well I dont know but think he will try and convince something

mellisa2000, Sep 15, 12:08pm
Get those same 5 people in to a Falcon, and go up a hill still in 4th gear lock up, same speed and revs, marginally more fuel, not straining it's fork out at 3500rpm in 3rd using sh1t loads of fuel. This thread was about a $1000 Fairmont, I commented on the economy of them, and for that money, it will be an economy car.
AND as a matter of fact I DO win pissing contests against 80 year olds,

thejazzpianoma, Sep 15, 12:19pm
All teasing aside. Those Wingroads are atrocious economy wise especially in automatic. Euro stuff aside a Honda of similar engine size will do significantly better on fuel. I am not at all surprised by your results.

Low RPM can and does aid economy. However the Falcon is sort of a one trick pony in that its about the only card it has to play. Other cars are using CVT or 6/7 speed transmissions to achieve that low RPM cruise now as well, even with lower torque engines. Hang a 1.2 litre Punto cruises at 1950 RPM at 100km/h so might even be slightly lower than your Falcon, it does need the CVT to get away with it though as it will bump up the revs a fraction for hills etc.

The difference is they can often combine that with electric power steering, less weight, smaller frontal area, less cylinders (reduces pumpin losses), direct injection and the list goes on. Thats how cars like the Golf can cut your economy in half again.

Not rubbishing the Falcon, overall they are good value and they are pretty economical for the size of the car etc. Its just you can do better from an economy point of view and retain comfort/power.

morrisman1, Sep 15, 12:37pm
I can't believe what I'm reading! Jazz suggesting that you retain power when trading from a falcon to a punto! Get your hand off it

stevexc, Sep 15, 7:47pm
thejazzpianoma why must you butt in to this thread and shove your crap down everyone's throats!The guy just wants to talk about his cheap falcon and you just cannot shut up about european diesel fuel economy. These two things are in no way related! You already have another thread for this shit can't you just leave it at that!Your religious-like ranting is going to put people off European cars.

mopar63, Sep 15, 7:57pm
yep I paid $800 for my '97 EL wagan 2 years ago and I've only replaced 2 tyres and a coil, reckon I'll get my money easily too back too,was gonna sell it as it gets used only occasionaly these days butreally with rego only $6-7 a week might as well leave here,what else can ya buy for a grand or so that will do what these workhorses do!

grangies, Sep 15, 9:03pm
2008 Round Australia Fuel Economy Overall Record

Peugeot 308 HDi Diesel

Averaged 90.75 miles per gallon, 3.13 L/100 km??

crzyhrse, Sep 15, 9:28pm
Nothing. And that's the point! Just don't tell everyone.

mike77, Sep 15, 9:58pm
Why are ya wanking on talking about new golfs, peugeots and what not.

Show me a Mk 5 Golf you can buy for $1000, then yeah sure.
But lets compare apples with apples.

For $1k, if it has a warrant, lasts 12months or more with no major repairs - well done you!

ignoramus1, Sep 15, 10:23pm
I have a 4 liter fairmont .it is &%%&ing diabolical on gas around town ( like 15mpg if your lucky) .not bad on open road though.

By comparrison i borowed a honda loga ( yeah i know jap shit box) recently.that damm thing does 35mpg around town and 45! mpg on a run,,,,,even my classic motorcyles just get marginaly better than that .outstanding!.

I have been thinking of dumping the fairmont becasue of the gas BUT as others have said they are now worth nothing and you can buy a shit load of gas for the depreciation of a jap wizzz bang.

crzyhrse, Sep 15, 10:54pm
I get an average of 25mpg around Auckland in mine - 11L/100km - and I don't fanny about.

jcwholesale, Sep 15, 11:12pm
200sx was just commenting how he bought a cheap Falcon. And he is right they are pretty good on fuel.
So Jazz why have you hijacked his thread to pedal that Euro Trash you seem to have a passionate love affair with. We all know you like that stuff and everyone to his own. What you have done is unfair and is nothing to do with the original flavour of the thread.
You have done this to many threads, and it is unfortunate you have found your keyboard again. As now I have to skim read the threads, so I don't get bored with the constant irritating drone of how good that Euro Trash is.
I am sure the people who ask about Euro's enjoy and hang on every word you say, god help them. So it would be great if you could keep your comments to Euro threads, that way I don't have to wade through all the associated bull shit in them as I don't even open them.
Thanks in advance. Richard.

jason18, Sep 15, 11:18pm
Yeah I love my Falcon too. Cheap to buy, Good on gas and can tow and fit heaps in it. All around great car.

quickstitch, Sep 16, 1:57am
yeah mines an EF stationwagon, bench seat front and third row seat, so legally can seat eight people. Only used the rear seat once, so am trying to onsell it as i would like to use the cargo area

richard198, Sep 16, 2:02am
I wonder what their average speed was to acheive those figures; probably crawling along, pissing all the other road users off, being overtaken by donkeys etc.!

don_logan, Sep 16, 2:21am
I notice on that list there was a Falcon doing 45mpg also :-) yup they sure are real world figures.

moosie_21, Sep 16, 2:44am
OMG who cares how much fuel you use unless it's 9MPG like a Hummer or V10 Viper, cars are there to be DRIVEN, not OBSESS about f***** fuel economy! Get over it and enjoy the ride!

phillip.weston, Sep 16, 2:46am
I'm in Australia at the moment and considered buying an AU Coon cause I really liked jason18's one when I borrowed it off him for a tow mission. But in the end I settled on a Camry (as much as I despise them, it was actually the tidiest roadworthy example with the budget and short time frame to find a car) which is proving to be very economical. Went from Brisbane to Sydney (950kms) on a tank and a quarter. The tank is 50L and costs $70 to fill up on a good day. The roads in Australia (well what I've driven on so far) are very flat and straight in comparison to NZ - you aren't forever going up and down hills and there are very few windy sections where you would need to constantly slow down for corners then speed up again.

I would have thought $1000 for an EL nearing 300,000kms would have been just about right. They never had flash re-sale value to begin with and there's a larger supply than there is demand for them. They're a good tough workhorse but don't know if I could live with one as a daily driver, I just find them too un-refined and the styling is very dated by now which the same could be said about the VR-VS range of Commodores too.