EL Fairmont for $1000

Page 3 / 3
phillip.weston, Sep 16, 2:47am
Sadly for most people cars are all about getting from A to B in a sensible fashion not breaking down and being frugal at the same time. That said there are plenty of cars which will deliver on driver thrill and good fuel economy - many Hondas spring to mind.

icemans1, Sep 16, 4:35am
i reckon the manufactures test cars on a dyno machine and keep the revs low to keep the fuel consumption down

statesman001, Sep 16, 6:08am
Wow.bet the op author never thought he would stir up the hornets nest with this topic!

gunhand, Sep 16, 6:45am
Well ive owned drivin a few large cars around as well as small jappas, no matter how hard you try and justifiy it big cars are not as economical as a small jappa. Sure for a big car they are quite good, I recently drove a AU fairmont on a 1000kmish round trip and found it very good on gas for the size of car it is. It was a gentle drive pretty much sticking to 100kph. But I know if I drove it hard it would suck fuel like a ( insert fav sucking thing here) .
And just cause you tripofuelousage meter flicks up 7 or 8ltr per 100km you all know that it cant be maintained for very long. I know Ive tried very hard in a BA to getconstant lowfuel figures people go on about.
But im looking at XR6s at the mo so it dosnt bother me that much if they use a little more than my current jappa.

200sx, Sep 16, 10:39am
Haha, dear oh dear - didn't expect my post to develop like this! But each to their own. Back to this EL Fairmont.have spoken with a few people over the last couple of days on this. Now for $1000 I have struggled to see another vehicle in my area for sale that is WOFed, Regoed, all electrics etc work, and there are no looming timebombs on the vehicle itself. Chewing a bit of gas around town is the only negative, in isolation, I can see with this car. But for $1000, hell, even if I only got 6 months out of it I'd be happy. I'm a big boy and enjoy the "lazyboy on wheels" driving position. Also, having driven some early EF Falcons in the past, which wallow and handle poorly on the open road, the changes they made for the EL mean its a relatively stable handling barge on the open road. I seldom need to go over 2000rpm, am averaging 13.1l per 100km (about 80% urban running, 20% motorway) so far. I used to have an 93 Corona that struggled to do better than 12.0 around town, and I don't have a lead foot. I'd rather have this over a typical $1000 4-cyl sh#tbox any day.

michael.benn, Nov 5, 8:53am
This. Take your 1.0 litre nissan micra's and your little honda city's and shove it where the sun don't shine!