Saddle Road Manawatu !

modie61, Sep 13, 7:01pm
How much extra time do i allow to travel from Kapiti to Woodville using Saddle Road ! Cheers.

tmenz, Sep 13, 7:50pm
Depends how fast your horse is!

modie61, Sep 13, 7:50pm
I have 140 horses.

smac, Sep 13, 8:12pm
About 5-10 minutes max, depending on the speed of the truck you get caught behind.Watch for holes though, it's starting to deteriorate.

elect70, Sep 14, 12:56am
Piaihatuatrack better & quicker , than the gorg eor saddle rdcomming fromKapitigood drive too .

cowboy110, Sep 14, 12:58am
Agree.Use the Pahiatua Track modie

1ollie, Sep 14, 1:57am
I agree Pahiatua track is better, but faster I very much dout it would be the same at best! Gorge is by far the fastest normaly but not at the moment as its closed

smac, Sep 14, 2:11am
Actually no, I think the saddle is shorter and faster. It might be close if you know the back roads to take on the Pahiatuha side (Balance etc instead of going all the way to Pahiatuha) but those are some scary narrow roads.

1ollie, Sep 14, 2:15am
I also agree but at the moment there is so much traffic flow over the Saddle that you may end up being the same posibly quicker over the Track

smac, Sep 14, 2:26am
Yep, could be. Bit of a lottery.

skyline_guy_r34, Sep 14, 2:31am
If i were them I would take saddle road on the way there, and pahiatua track on the way back. Have the enjoyment of both roads, and can help you decide for next time.

berg, Sep 14, 6:28am
Six of one, half dozen of the other. Both roads starting to show the strain of the extra traffic though. Did a loop round them both weekend before last on the bike. Way better when the gorge is open as the traffic tends to hold up bikes badly

modie61, Sep 14, 7:28pm
Thanks guys,we will be driving ourSkyline racer,going to Dannevirke to do the Blairgowrie sprint,all going well we will drive it home aswell,we will probably take the Saddle Rd on the way there anyway. Leaving home at 6am so hopefully not too much traffic to worry about.

elect70, Sep 15, 12:40am
May be just my luck but whenever I have used thegorgei get stuck behind truck ortourists drivingvans at 10 KPhso I avoid it . The track is good if you want to go to Wiarapa around the back roads , nocops , good drive if you like to boot it .

doug207, Sep 15, 12:49am
The Saddle is shorter by a long shot when going the way you are.
The Saddle is only a couple of Km more than the Gorge and you won't die in a landslide.

Both the Saddle and Pahiatua track are great roads, just keep an eye out for other muppets and trucks on the Saddle due to the increased traffic flow. I've seen some impressively dodgy passing going on over the last few weeks over the Saddle.

modie61, Oct 26, 3:09pm
Cheers Doug.