95 Diesel Terrano HELP!

zhl, Sep 14, 9:02am
Hi, I brought a 95 Terrano about month ago, everything seems fine, but recently, I can hear a funny sounds from the engine or trans which I am not sure, The sounds only can hear when I driving the car not on idal speed. Its sounds like leaking air "zi zi." sorry for my poor english, hope you guys can understand me. Thanks

morrisman1, Sep 14, 9:04am
hmm, have you got a video camera with relatively good microphone! You could take a video with the noise, thats better than describing the noise.

zhl, Sep 14, 9:09am
Thanks for reply, will be hard for record the noise, I only can hear it when I driving with my window down, I checked the engine room this afternoon, no leaking oil or water, drives good as well.

morrisman1, Sep 14, 9:11am
are there any particular conditions which make the noise! for example when the engine is under load, coasting, in gear, in neutral or whatever is applicable

pdc1, Sep 14, 9:42am
Does it have a vacuum pump on the back of the alternator!
If so maybe the spline is worn. Try taking the belt off your alternator and going for a drive.Sometimes you get away with locktite you do it early enought

electro2000, Sep 14, 10:00am
Turbo , working as it should

clothesline2011, Sep 14, 5:38pm
carefull
if u take belt off alternator, brakes vacum assist, work off alternator. wont have much braking power

brodix167, Sep 14, 10:52pm
there is a tin cone sort of thing off the back of the transfer case, this is where the driveshaft fits in. it is designed to stop grit etc getting to the rear seal. it has about 1mm of clearance around the front universal of the rear driveshaft. sometimes they become miss-aligned causing a faint rubbing or scraping sound. jack the back of the vehicle off the gound (both wheels) start it up, stick it into 3rd or fourthgear, let the clutch out and then go looking and listening. but for gods sake do not go driving with the alternator belt off. you will have virtually no brakes after the third pump.

neville106, Sep 14, 11:01pm
That sounds like a badbearing on the timing belttensioner.lift thebonnetand while theengine isrunningjust reach overand get the acceleratorcablenadrev the engine up. Ifyou hear that ziiiii from the front of the engine its eitherthe belts of atimingbeltbearing. Warningdontgetparts of youtangled up in thebelts or pullys as itcan be verypainfull.

owene, Sep 14, 11:59pm
I could suggest that the release shaft in the drivers door locking mechanism required a new spine fitted but I wont.

Stop misleading the poor bloke. He clearly hasn't the faintest idea about motors, let alone how to fix them and you're surely confusing him and raising his finance anxiety levels.Out of curiosity, could it be a stone in the tyres or does the noise persist when stationary!

He has four choices.

1. Join the AA recovery scheme and keep driving it until it (possibly) fails.

2. Take it to the Nissan main dealer with your life savings.

3. Sell it for what you paid.

4. Listen to the experts on here and in six months you'll be more highly strung, untrusting of the vehicle and still hearing the noises.

We have one of these and it rattles and bangs along but has done this for the last 200,000kms. If it stops then it stops and I'll fix it then!

ceebee2, Oct 26, 8:59am
Simply take it to a NON franchised garage for a cheap diagnosis.