Hole in block 2004 Nissan Navara

dion01, Sep 25, 12:54am
We brought a New Navara in 2004, serviced every 10,000km as required. its done just under 200,000km. There is now a large hole in the block and I can see the crankshaft. I have done a bit of asking around & it seams like this failure is not uncommon. Has any1 else experienced it and if I get back in touch with the Nissan dealer, do i have any sort of leg to stand on! I understand wear & tear and replacing the likes of rings & bearings but to have a catostophic failure like this makes me wonder about the integrity of this sort of engine. Any advice would be greatlt appreciated. Cheers Dion.

lugee, Sep 25, 1:00am
That kind of thing can just happen out of the blue. A little piece of gunk dislodges and blocks the oil hole for that bearing and boom bits of rod through the block. To be honest I can't see your chances being good with an engine thats done nearly 200,000km and hat you've had for 7 years.

Unless you can get a good case along with other owners of the same car with the problem, you might have a chance.

the_don_61, Sep 25, 1:02am
200,000Km'sin 7 years.!.my hiace is a 94 model, done 120,000Km's I change oil every 6000Km's or every 6 months if its not being used.
I'm sure you will find most couiers change oil every 5000K's.

To get a hole in block,,Its gone bang.Either its canne'd.no canne'd.A rod bolt has broken.at high rev's .

Thats not uncomen at all.user problem,,nothing to do with Nissan.
Ring a engine importer and chuck anther engine in it.

dion01, Sep 25, 1:02am
Oil pressure never dropped & oil light never came on.

3tomany, Sep 25, 1:04am
just get another engine and get over it or maybe its time for a new ute

the_don_61, Sep 25, 1:05am
It wont if a rod bolt snaps. Thats the only thing that will cause a hole.

dion01, Sep 25, 1:09am
I can see the oil journel on the crank where the rod was meant to be. Id say that the cap bolts has come loose and the caps come off and its spat a leg out

franc123, Sep 25, 1:15am
What engine!If its a YD or ZD nothing would surprise me, they were a complicated pig of an engine that Nissan tried to get too much power out of.Lack of performance aside the previous TD engine was better in every way.

dion01, Sep 25, 1:20am
its a YD 2.5 commom rail. $6k+gst to get one from a wreckers plus install etc but am I going to inheret someone else problem or the same sort of thing. Can get a new short block for $4700+ gst plus $1300 for gasket setthen transfer head etc over then fit it. Prob a ten grand scenario.

3tomany, Sep 25, 1:27am
the fact they can sell a second hand one for 6k probably answers youre first question just make sure its low mileage

franc123, Sep 25, 1:39am
Looking at those prices its pretty obvious that a new short block is the better option, at least you know what you have got, its still incredibly shyte to have to do that on a modern engine at such low kms.If it was mine I'd look at doing a TD conversion with a mechanical pump. Serious!The TD was fitted to the early D22's so it can't be impossible.

ozz1, Sep 25, 2:34am
diono1. $6grands/hand. tell them to shove it. i am a wrecker (sigh) hate that title.shop around. i got complete one for my ute. ($2300 +gst)pity yourswasnt a ZD30.have short block here. good luck anyway.cheers ian.pscheck out auctions. and buy wrecked ute.take motor out and sell ute to rip off outfit.

dion01, Sep 25, 2:46am
Cheers for the advice Ian. Primo!

zephyrheaven, Sep 25, 4:32am
Talk to dealership you bought it from, Nissan had so many of these fail they kept dealerships full of them - might still have a new shortblock & do a deal on the cheap

icemans1, Sep 25, 4:35am
bog and paint, then sell it

mm12345, Sep 25, 6:13am
A quick search on the net, and it seems that the owner may have been lucky to get almost 200,000km before this happened.
I heard that these engines are Renault design, but I've never seen this confirmed.
With highly stressed common rail turbo-diesels being pushed so hard by the motoring press, (can't remember when I read a review of a euro car where Dave Moore didn't comment that the diesel was the best option) it won't surprise me if there are more horror stories like this Nissan disaster, as time goes on.
The motoring press never warn of things like this, nor other horror stories like audi/vw dsg transmission - or perish the thought of both a highly strung turbo diesel with dsg.By the time it's done 150,000km - if it makes it - it's a time bomb with pending mechanical repairs to cost double what the car might be worth if it was still going.Combined with the high RUC and regular servicing costs, the only people for whom these nightmares aren't "false economy" are the motor companies and their dealerships.

franc123, Nov 18, 2:19am
Bloody oath they don't talk about it, good post there mm.As we all know the manufacturers priorities are making new cars that sell and comply with all the relevant safety and emissions regs whilst turnng a good profit, nothing more, they don't care about the horrors down the track.They want to sell you a new car and warranty the thing for the first couple of years, they want to sell you expensive parts and servicing for the next few years, and they want it off the road and withdraw all or most support for it by 10 years.NZ consumers by and large still can't get their heads around this.While the concept of CR diesel is fine, I believe the technology, while on the right track, still needs work.It all sounds great in theory but in a small isolated market like NZ that is a drop in the bucket in terms of their global sales (ie they don't really give a stuff, especially French manufacturers, they never have and never will), that still has poor quality diesel, consumers are still not being made aware of what future problems are going to cost them with all this fancypants refined and sanitised diesel technology!In this sad automotive world that we live in thats controlled by politicians and car company accountants, the likes of VW discovered 40 years ago that producing a simple universal rugged car that appealed and soldto millions and that could be repaired over and over by their owners was financial suicide, hence they all now operate by the above model and thus buyers have to put up with disposable cars that are criminally expensive to fix when they get too old.This is of course not a problem in their home markets where the standard of living is high and they are upgrading their cars every few years anyway.