Hilux vs Navara

Page 1 / 2
farmerjohns, Mar 3, 9:57pm
Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on the best late model 4x4 as work ute and general run around.Thanks.

3tomany, Mar 3, 10:04pm
ranger is the best hilux and navara are the biggest

r15, Mar 3, 10:15pm
a mate bought a ST 4wd navara about 6 months ago,but only compared hilux & navara, as he didnt like the look of the rest.

hilux i thought felt nicer on the road, the navara seemed bigger,

ultimately the navara was about 8k cheaper

mottly, Mar 3, 10:19pm
hilux all the way - know too many people with 'lemon' navaras

gunsmoke4, Mar 3, 10:22pm
hilux go through injectors and clutches like they are going out of fashion

mottly, Mar 3, 10:23pm
majority of navara's I know, go through engines like they're goin outta fashion !

joanie32, Mar 3, 10:24pm
Our work navara is a shocker. Bought brand new and it is just an all round horrible truck to drive. Next one will probably be a ranger, like the rest of the fleet.

3tomany, Mar 3, 10:51pm
you forgot fuel pumps aswell. injectors are 4k to replace

ct9a, Mar 3, 11:08pm
bt 50 are awesome

r15, Mar 3, 11:26pm
o yeah, i should mention the navara's rear lsd has lasted less than 5000kms.

not much use for some light uphill gravel farm track stuff without being in 4wd anymore. which 4wd isnt that good for either due to the tight corners.

and on that note the steering lock on the navara is appaling, 10 point turns are commonly required

r15, Mar 3, 11:29pm
clutches come down to the driver -

injectors- im beginning to think this is an old wives tale.
i know several people who have had these hilux's since 2004 or whenever they first came out who have had no problem, i've owned a 06 hiace with the 2kd-ftv engine (2.5 version of the hilux's 1kd) which had 300,000+ kms on it, with no issues with injectors, another mate with one with 600,000+kms, again with no issues.

the only time im told they will play up is when you put shit diesel in, or watery diesel in them. like some farmers with shitty old bowsers will do

franc123, Mar 3, 11:33pm
Neither of those.The Ford Ranger/Mazda BT50 is the one to get.Contrary to what the blinkered Toyota supporters club think the sheepshagger Hilux is the worst commercial vehicle they have ever produced.A lot of major long term reliability/durability problems and design flaws are gradually being exposed.If they're not careful a lot of their customers will defect to Great Wall in disgust if they are going to sell rubbish at high prices for much longer.Nissans diesels that replaced the TD diesels are also not a good buy.

mugenb20b, Mar 3, 11:41pm
I currently work at a garage that services/maintains a lot of farm vehicles, ie. 4wd utes etc. Personally, I have found that Mazda Bounty, BT50, Ford Rangers and Holden Rodeo diesels have proven to be the most reliable. Navaras can have minor issues with their common rail diesels. Mostly 'fly by wire' electrical problems. Hiluxes have been good so far, but they definitely need their fuel filters changing every service. Mitsubishis.errr.don'-
;t even go there.

mrfxit, Mar 3, 11:41pm
Agreed from reports also butt ugly (festered butt ugly)

skully13, Mar 4, 5:33am
Have the Volkswagen Amoraks come out over here yet! They are supposeto be pretty good. But you'd be buying a bit of an unknown in terms of proven ability and reliability.

peacebird15, Mar 4, 9:07am
Im from a hilux family, we have had 10 over the last 15 years, Dad, sister, uncle, etc my last one had 327 on the clock and ran fine. Other family members who have brought new ones more recently have been bitterly dissapointed. They are no longer work utes, they are town cars dress up to look like they are work machines.
If your looking at anything 7 years and older, go for a hilux. Anything newer, get something else, the hilux is no longer the ute we could once trust.

cuda.340, Mar 5, 3:25am
yeah i'm sure if clarkson & hammond did the test on the new hilux it wouldn't be as good as the old one they trashed a hundered times over.

phillip.weston, Mar 5, 3:26am
And diffs.

phillip.weston, Mar 5, 3:30am
I was following one on the back of a vehicle transporter once - it certainly is wider than the Japanese counterparts and it actually looks decent in terms of styling too, but I couldn't help notice the size of the rear axle was very small - it had what looked to be a tiny diff head and a small diameter axle housing. They only come with a 2.0L diesel engine too which makes good power/torque but with not a very usable power curve, the main let down reporters have found is it has little power off boost and very easy to stall it.

ezekiel67, Mar 5, 3:46am
No one has mentioned the latest Triton as an alternative.

clint.hamilton, Mar 5, 3:49am
hilux or nothing mate

phillip.weston, Mar 5, 4:00am
The styling is love it or hate it, but in many respects it is a class leader, but in many other respects it's not.

phillip.weston, Mar 5, 4:15am
Nah, plenty of alternatives out there which are better priced, better looking and better performing than the over-rated Hilux which has built its reputation ever only on being reliable.

kwaka5, Mar 5, 5:16am
Hilux. yeah right. oh and they go thru stearing gear when used off road. Fancy having to replace the rack and pinion gear cause you take your off road vehical off the road. They have lost their off road use. Too high in the wellsides to be practical, to useless off road with the running boards too low. Get the older type and you're in but not much chop with the new shape.

3tomany, Mar 5, 9:00am
4x4 mag tested them all and dont worry about the winner who came dead last in every catagory yip hilux lol