Navara 4x4 gearbox's petrol to Diesel.

elvis58, Feb 8, 12:45am
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to fit a gearbox from a 3litre petrol powered nissan navara, terrano or pathfinder into the diesel equivilant!

cypherboy, Feb 8, 3:40am
Anythings possible, how much money do you want to throw at it!

elvis58, Feb 8, 4:13am
It's not mine but belongs to a mate. Box was done not long ago but has failed again and there seems to be little around from diesels but quite a few v6 ones. If it were as simple as swapping mount's, housings or similar it might be a option.
Surely someone's tried it!

robbos1, Feb 8, 5:13am
V6 & diesel boxes are different.

elvis58, Feb 8, 5:25am
Ok , i expected that but how different and can it be overcome! Can you give me more info!

chris241, Feb 8, 5:28am
arnt the v6 ones just as weak as the diesel boxs!

elvis58, Feb 8, 6:22am
Yea, i believe so but the thing is they seem more plentiful and from what i have seen cheaper. There are a number of v6 units parked up with engine failures, rust or people just not prepared to run them, same doesn't seem to be the case with the diesels, which is why i'm asking.

bert37, Feb 8, 9:04am
not 100% sure but think diesel running gear is bigger, could be as simple as swapping the bell housing, main bearing problem is the 5th and rev bearing , its up high and quite small, if you are running a navara overfill the box with oil and do not lug it or tow in 5th gear

elvis58, Feb 8, 9:20am
Thanks Bert. The info i have so far would have me believe the petrol box is the bigger.This gut has utterly destroyed both the origonal gearbox and the rebuilt in record time. They are getting very hard to find so we are looking for other options. Cheers for you help.

elvis58, Feb 8, 9:21am
Whoops this "guy' had destoyed.sorry.

bopbargains, Feb 8, 7:21pm
prettysure they canbe made to fit. I sold a D21 4x4 petrol5 spd togo intoa diesel. Youhave topullthecasings off and put the guts of the petrol one intothe diesel casing.

elvis58, Feb 8, 9:11pm
Cheers, can also do that with the gut's from a 2wd. Was hoping to maybe just swap bellhousing's and get away with it! Thanks for your help.

bopbargains, Feb 9, 12:23am
the output shaft on the 2wd is probably too long. the bellhousing ispart of the front case (on my modelanyway) so you can't just swap it over. the guy turned up with his old gearbox in parts, did a few measurements,paidme cash and Inever heard from him again,so Idon'tknow how he goton.

elect70, Feb 9, 1:48am
Swap it for an auto complete with transfer box , must be bloody rough to destroy 2 boxes .

elvis58, Mar 29, 1:05am
Yea, i agree but speaking to people who own these thing's it's not that uncommon.