Nissan Navara 2005 on, 4wd, STX

paddyman, Mar 15, 9:36am
anyone had any major problems with these utes. Ive heard that some have broken timing chains and destroyed the motors. Any particuler year to avoid! or other problems to look out for!

ljack, Mar 15, 9:39am
used em at work, for off road work, nothing hard out, a few had problems with the chassis cracking.

NZTools, Mar 16, 7:55am
Bad for chassis cracking

paddyman, Mar 16, 8:09am
Where do they crack!

NZTools, Mar 16, 8:35am
Lots of places. The steel used doesnt seem to handle flexing well, which makes the a short term option if used offroad. Google navara chassis cracking and you will get lots of hits such as this.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/3352028/Recall-Navaras-urges-farmer

austingtir, Mar 16, 9:00am
Google cracking chassis on pretty much any of the manufacturers utes and you will find examples that have cracked.Usually in australia from either modified suspension or modified camper decks loaded up and then using them on fairly rough terrain.
The navara does seem to be worse.

paddyman, Mar 16, 9:19am
Thats the model thats been around since 2002 , how about the newer model STX from 2005 on and recently came out with the 450 engine in 2010!

vtecnet, Mar 16, 9:43am
A 2008 model gets 1 star for crash test http://www.euroncap.com/tests/nissan_navara/317.aspx

Then again most vehicles classed as trucks rate like this, as they don't have tough safety standards like cars.

outbidyou2, Mar 16, 9:47am
Thats a little crazy aye.

austingtir, Mar 16, 10:04am
They all can crack.Doesnt matter the manufacturer. anything from about 2005 up are dodgy for that.Its an abuse thing you'll struggle to find one thats cracked that hasnt been modified or been driven offroad rough.All the manufacturers are cheaping out probably using the same thickness steel or thinner they were using on the old chassis's back in 1990 or something.

NZTools, Mar 16, 7:28pm
Most farmers i,ve seen dont stuff around modifying vehicles. They walk into a dealship and order a single cab or doublecab with bullbars and a flatdeck if they prefer.
These are nissan approved aftermarket items.

Nissan and toyota advertise that theirtrucks are built for farm use, but the reality is they are not.

Most high country farmers stuck with their landcruisers, and a lot of low country farmers and contractors are now starting to see why.

They ARE built for it.

austingtir, Mar 16, 8:21pm
No its not a load of crap all of the current normal sized utes available can crack the chassis.I never said the navaras dont just pointing out none of them are perfect.Your reading skills are obviously pretty poor.

The newish landcruisers are obviously a better bet but the cost of those is pretty crazy.

If it was me for offroad use or farm id just buy an older model and refurbish it and put a better donk in it.

austingtir, Mar 16, 8:27pm
I agree its pretty amusing to me though that these farmers all just buy new utes when its pretty obvious the new crop of normal utes are all compromised for farm use.If I still worked on a farm id just buy an old pos for running about the farm.

NZTools, Mar 16, 8:53pm
The problem is, you cant rely on an old pos.
The farm i manage is stocked with around $2.5million worth of cattle during the summer, and allmost $6million worth during the winter. Cows dying of thirst or starvation becacuse or unreliable equipment is not a good look.

austingtir, Mar 16, 9:18pm
You can probably afford the landcruiser then hey.Most farmers probably cant.

austingtir, Mar 16, 9:21pm
I have an old council d22 with modified suspension.Its not cracked.I dont know if its the thai built ones that started to do it or what.It appears it wasnt a problem until around 2007 or so.

This guy is asking about a d40.So again i still think yout reading comprehension is lacking.

NZTools, Mar 16, 9:24pm
Actually if this job was my sole income, it would be a fairly meagre existence for me and my family. Huge hours for not a lot of money.

My point was, most farmest will buy the best they can afford, as it is a tool, not a toy.

Nissan will happily advertise that the navara is built tough, when it reality it is an overpriced pos that they wont help you with when it cracks from doing what they marketed it for.