Diesel Golf Gearbox

rupertmja1, Sep 25, 4:33am
Gearbox rattles. I asked about this a couple of weeks ago.
I replaced the clutch bearing on the end of the gearbox but what I found was - no oil! None, nada, zero, nothing. The previous owner has been fiddling with the clutch arm and I guess it popped off the clutch cover slightly, letting the oil out. I musta done 300 km like that, and no idea how far the prvious guy drove it. No wonder it was noisy. It's a lot quieter now that I have oil in it but . alas . still a bit rattly so I am on the lookout for a decent secondhand MkII gearbox. 1988 vintage or thereabouts.

andy61, Sep 25, 5:37am
How would fiddling with clutch arm empty the oil out!

mugenb20b, Sep 25, 5:38am
That doesn't make any sense. The gearbox oil should be completely separate from any mechanical parts of the clutch assembly.

carmedic, Sep 25, 6:42am
I think you need to read up on how the mk1 diesel clutch mechanism works.

rupertmja1, Sep 25, 7:14am
The Golf has a pushrod - similar to bike clutches - and is activated from the far end of the gearbox. If you take the clutch cable off, the pushrod actuating lever inside presses against the outer cover, which is just pressed on. And if you're not careful, I guess, it can just press off. My cover was open at the bottom - half on/half off - allowing the oil to escape.

mugenb20b, Sep 25, 7:31am
I can't even imagine that setup, sounds complicated. I might just take carmedic's advice.

intrade, Sep 26, 11:04am
i would not worry about noises as long as it shifts ok and has enough oil in the box. if you are going to replace it you want to do it when it broke
http://www.pagenstecher.de/Auto-Tuning-Technik-Talk/Auto-Technik---Antrieb/t134933p1/Getriebe-Problem-Golf-2.html

rupertmja1, Nov 20, 3:52pm
I am not in any great rush but will keep a lookout for another box.