Holden VZ Acclaim S/W

fatman08, Sep 24, 5:45am
Looking at purchasing one to replace my 2005 Diamante wagon.
Would appreciate advice on the above model either good, bad or otherwise. Thanks.

chris_051, Sep 24, 9:26am
I believe the early 3.6s have timing chain issues. VZ Acclaim is the low spec Alloytec with 175kw and 4spd auto, a bloody horrible wheezy engine, especially compared to the Mitsubishi 3.5. I would go for a VY Berlina with the 3.8 or a BA Futura, which usually sell for less than the Holdens, BA wagons are probably the best value wagons on the market, my only complaint is the leaf springs don't give the best ride and handling.

c_h_l, Sep 24, 9:41am
We have a VY V8 Berlina and absolutely love it, no issues what so ever. It is serviced every 10,000km and has never missed a beat. We live rurally so dont notice any increase in petrol from the v6 unless we go into town. We often race down in taupo and tow the race car & trailer down, does that really well, comfortably and also with very little increase in fuel consumption. Def recommend one.

fatman08, Sep 24, 9:36pm
Cheers to the above replies. A bit more detail vehicle is a 07 VZ travelled 70000km, would imagine the last of the VZ prior to the VE being released.

franc123, Sep 24, 10:13pm
While its all too easy to pick on one issue the timing chain stretch thing is something you NEED to know about before buying an Alloytec VZ or VE Holden, some cars haven't got to 100,000km before the chain stretch started interfering with sensors and logging fault codes in the EFI system. The fix is not cheap.Google VZ alloytec timing chain problems and make up your own mind, if you really want a Commodore start looking for the best VY 3.8 you can find, or (gulp) keep the Mitsi or perhaps look at similar era Falcons, as above.

xs1100, Sep 24, 10:39pm
or even buy a after market warrenty as we have done with a vz,the base model would also be the executive with wind up rear windows the acclaim is actually quite well speced far nicer than a ba with all the plastic anyway

hoggarty, Sep 24, 11:00pm
We had a 2002 vx acclaim wagon for 2 years & loved it, never had a problem with it & regret selling it now.

fatman08, Sep 25, 12:03am
^
Cheers for that.
At this stage havedecided to keep the Diamante, it's due a Cam Belt change next service, we have travelled 77000km [ purchased new] in it.
Was thinking be good to get back to rear wheel drive.
Never let us down apart from a replacement battery in 09 which of course can happen in any vehicle.

franc123, Sep 25, 12:22am
OK, not worth worrying about then, a car that you've owned since new and know exactly what its been subjected to and how its been serviced is well worth hanging on to, unless you have a real need or strong preference for RWD why get rid of it.I wouldn't normally recommend holding on to Diamantes when they get up in the km's but your case is clearly different.

xs1100, Nov 17, 7:48am
yes if you have brought the car brand new eg no ks on it and only done 77000 then yes far better to just do the cambelt and carry on even a diamante still has a lot of life left in it