Holden rodeo 2002 4jh1tc being gutless!

mram, Feb 1, 12:54am
Did a comparison against a friends ute exactly the same,0-100 all things equal mine was 0-100 18sec his was 14sec, have done all filters etc so nothing like that, have yet to check turbo boost, his seems ALOT more torquey, does anyone have any other suggestions as where to look!

rocky0169, Feb 1, 1:21am
Cam replaced at anystage!possibly tooth retarded.like all things mechanical no two engines/vehicals will ever be the same.

gadgit3, Feb 1, 1:50am
Injectors!

chris_051, Feb 1, 3:02am
Cat convertor/muffler collapsed internally.
Intake leaks after turbo.

marie194, Feb 1, 4:06am
check and clean the MAF Sensor if it has one

mram, Feb 1, 6:28am
We did swap the MAF sensors between the two rodeo's because thats what I thought too. Doesn't have a cat and muffler system seems really good,i.e no restriction. Wondering more about the turbo leaking as chris_051 has said. I pulled the wastegate hose off and it dosn't make a difference nor make any hissing sound under acceration

mram, Feb 1, 6:31am
Cam has never been changed rocky, gear driven cam, but belt I think to injector pump, maybe something is amiss here!

mugenb20b, Feb 1, 6:34am
Both engines the same capacity! Same size tyres!

mram, Feb 1, 6:38am
Yep both 3.0 TDs, Tyre size the same. You feel as though you have to wring the piss outta mine, but his is real happy to be short-shifted, loads of lowdown torque

rocky0169, Feb 1, 6:39am
. oh yup. same as 2.8 izuzu block. was thinking then maybe pump timing,, but if the case it would run shit. as others have suggested try for leak down on inter cooler hose's. blocked inter cooler. even slight damged corecould restrict flow. dodgy injector! have you had truck in for testing!

mram, Feb 1, 6:44am
No havnt had it in for testing, bit dubious as to were to go, Another friend had a older 2.8 4jb1 rodeo, was a REAL dog,took it to diesel services and they couldn't(without costing the earth) find bugger al wrong, long story short, we turned pump up slightly and turned it into a rocket ship. I don't really want to spend a fortune and get nowhere

rocky0169, Feb 1, 6:46am
Fuel delivery issue!

mugenb20b, Feb 1, 6:50am
Maybe your one was driven gently its whole life and your mate's one was thrashed.

a.woodrow, Feb 1, 6:50am
blocked exhaust/cat

mram, Feb 1, 6:51am
Don't think so without using a pressure guage on delivery line, heaps of flow there, brand new fuel filter too

mram, Feb 1, 6:53am
Possibly aye, when I rebuilt my 6cyl ford tractor engine, the old ford tractor guru told me not to baby it, put it to hard work straight away

rocky0169, Feb 1, 7:29am
Bit like a cummin's drive them hard and work them frm new once theyfree up and let go they pull like freight train!

mugenb20b, Feb 1, 7:31am
Yep, the same applies to Caterpillar engines.

rocky0169, Feb 1, 7:33am
. roga that.only couple of our 15's have ben driven right since new. trouble with cats, is they require top tune and heads off every 300-400,000 kms. my old N14 getting its first rebuild after 1.2 million kms

mugenb20b, Feb 1, 7:37am
N14 is one of the best Cummins motors around. Race truck driver, Malcolm Little used to have one with over 1500hp, bullet proof and was easy to work on.

rocky0169, Feb 1, 7:45am
. roga that. we have 2 left in the fleet.( reason boss kept them is they so reliable and cheap to maintain and good on fuel.) Transtar4700 N14 525 and mine S3600 ( transtar spec ) N14 435-rated @450. i love it so easy to drive, noisyand jakes rattle windows lmao

electro2000, Feb 1, 7:53am
x1
Common as for the turbo to slowly ceaseup over time
Got two at work bloody things got slower and slower esp on hills
Both of them have had turbos rebuilt now you dont realize how slow
they were. Use to hear turbo but just had no go

happylad3, Feb 1, 8:27am
Pretty sure that the injector pump is driven by gears too. We rebuilt one a few years ago that had the same symptoms, so wanted a rebuild. When we stripped iteverything checked ok, inc the injectors and pump. When we went to put it together, we noticed that the timing gears had that much wear, the backlash in the teeth was enough to throw the cam and pump timing out, making it gutless.