fordcrzy, Sep 29, 7:57am
surprise surprise.
hampton downs anyone!

rob_man, Sep 29, 8:03am
Sounds like it.

jason18, Sep 29, 8:06am
Hope so.

franc123, Sep 29, 8:09am
Wow that was a good investment for the local ratepayers, NOT.I can smell vermin here, why do they want out of Hamilton ASAP when it made such a loss and want in to another city that can accomodate a street circuit!It'd be interesting to see where they've got in mind that will pull big enough crowd numbers,
Auckland!Been looked at before and was and still is a bureaucratic nighmare.
Welllington!Been done before, economics weren't really there and the nimbys and arty farty types that infest the place who hate anything that pollutes and makes noise eventually drove it out of town.
Christchurch! Not in the NI and therefore away from most of the population, besides the cars would need all terrain tyres and lift kits.
Dunedin!As above except for the quake damage, go-cart race around the Octagon perhaps!The rest of the place has got more hllls than Bathurst that couldn't be taken at speed by a V8SC.

That only leaves Whangarei, NP, Tga, Napier/Hastings, Palm North, Rotorua, Gisborne.Again the numbers simply won't stack up.

mapman, Sep 29, 8:09am
About time!

carstauranga001, Sep 29, 8:11am
Na, Tauranga street race.

johnf_456, Sep 29, 8:12am
Nice about time

xacoon, Sep 29, 8:25am
pre quake damage chch would have been sweet, dunners, yeh if you want an interesting track, there are a lot of options. could be the new bathurst.

rob_man, Sep 29, 8:51am
Imagine Conrod Straight heading down into the centre.

m16d, Sep 29, 9:26am
Why not Paeroa. It already has a street circuit.

mellisa2000, Sep 29, 10:50am
Yep, but SH2 to Ngatea and back!

crzyhrse, Sep 29, 10:57am
I don't care where it's held - I went a couple of years ago in a corporate box, for free, and you wouldn't get me along a second time. The view of the track is pathetic from anywhere. If I were actually interested, I'd just watch it on TV.

jkm, Sep 29, 5:54pm
That was the problem with Hamilton, the viewing was very limited.

jason18, Sep 29, 6:01pm
Spot on!

jason18, Sep 29, 6:02pm
I was putting signage up and got in for free. I had a good time for about ten mins then was over it.

tpl2, Sep 29, 10:56pm
There's nothing wrong with Christchurch, Ruapuna survived totally unscathed.

mopsy3, Sep 29, 11:57pm
Hampton Downs is a long way off being capable of holding V8 supercars. It is fine for club meetings etc but needs a whole lot of $$$ before it can hold an event for this sort of motorsport.

elect70, Sep 30, 2:27am
^^^^ rubbish,they now have permanant pits& lots of small improvementsIt was built withanything under F1 in mind , not sure of its gradingSocram will know more

crzyhrse, Sep 30, 2:34am

jerichord, Sep 30, 2:37am
i dont think that another city will pick it up and get burnt, hampton downs i would say, spend the dollars only once and you have it for ever.

socram, Sep 30, 4:18am
Hampton Downs was designed and built from day 1 to be able to run high profile events, but the cost of delays (caused by two government departments, then the weather.) and the financial climate have slowed down the development of the long track and also the control tower.

Street racing in NZ will never make money as the numbers will never ever stack up and the viewing is always far better on TV than at the track.The costs of any temporary circuit (barriers, stands, roading alterations, permissions etc) are horrendous and at least 70% of the ratepayers will always be against it.

Pukekohe coped well - even the traffic management - and HD is the most logical step forward, but who is going to front up with the cash to get the circuit finished!

Only when it is finished (or at least extended and the control tower in) will it be able to host really high profile events and that inevitably means that there are even fewer dates for club racers.

rug_nz, Sep 30, 5:36am
Hampton needs the Track finished, Control tower, Corporate Boxes on pit buildings, Parking, Grandstands, Attendance restriction to overcome(20000 I think). $15-20 mill to get it done, mmm somehow I don't think so.

fordcrzy, Sep 30, 7:03am
pukekohe is the most over rated circuit in the country.if it wasnt 5 minutes from auckland it would have closed 20 years ago.even baypark was a better track.

hampton downs is the newest track and was designed for international formulas. it was a NO BRAINER that V8SC will end up there.
they have 18 months to finish Hampton downs.
just sell the stupid plastic WAKA and rugby ball from the RWC and your half way there.The Govt needs to come up with the cash to complete it just like tey did WITH RWC.after all RWC is a private corperate sport just like v8SC

easygoer, Sep 30, 7:34am
It will either go to Auckland but most likely it will leave New Zealand. No way in hell will it end up at HD, they need more than a few million to finish the track and build the infrastructure required for the event and at the speed they have done things there in the past they wouldn't be ready for another 5 years. The fans need to start saving to travel to Aussie after next year