Nissan GTIR gearbox Tech Q!

philltauranga, Oct 2, 2:37am
Hi all, anyone done the gear selector shaft oil seal into the geabox on a 1990 GTIR! I have front suspension off doing CV boots, new A arms, steering rack boots, wheel bearings and drive shaft output seals on gearbox, needed to drain gearbox oil for left oil seal so want to do gear selector shaft seal while Im at it as its weeping. To me it looks like it could be done, but will be a b#$t@rd to do as the shaft will obviously still be in place, dont want to remove and dissasemble gearbox to do it. Anyone know if its possible to do when selector shaft still in place! If so, best way to pull old seal without filling box with rubber fragments if seal gets destroyed in process, it has a flange on end of seal for dust cover to slip onto, so if I pull off ofthis will oil seal come out aswell!

philltauranga, Oct 2, 5:32pm
Can anyone point me to a good Nissan Q&A site that may know!

shane038, Oct 2, 11:09pm
Hi
From memory the selector yoke is welded to the shaft which means the g/box has to come apart! if the yoke is held on by a roll pin then it is easy as the seal should have a flange on it to get it out.

philltauranga, Oct 3, 4:12am
Yes it has a roll pin on the yoke to the gear lever linkages so they can come off and then the shaft reduces in diameter . It does have a flange for the dust seal to slip over the end of oil seal, soI thought pulling on that should get the oil seal out aswell then slide it along the shaft to remove. Ive ordered a new one but it dosent arrive x-Japan 2 weeks away so nothing to compare it to, and the guys a Nissan couldnt give me a certain answer. Thanks for your help.

guest, Jan 7, 10:16am
Hey, i'm about to do the same seal on my gtir and just wondering how you got on with yours? did the seal come out of the gear selector shaft ok? and did your selector yoke come off easily? cheers Josh.