Turbo Problems.

sebatrons13, Oct 5, 8:10am
When my turbo comes onto boost it makes a funny wurring noise, inlike the ususal. Has been doing it for two days now and it has no power. The car doesnt seem to be smoking at all and off boostit runs mint just as always. Im no genius but it sounds like the turbine may be loose in its little pin thing! Im unsure, but it does not sound very healthy. Before this the turbo has been mint.

andrea_w, Oct 5, 8:15am
Make, model and year .!

mugenb20b, Oct 5, 8:15am
I'm guessing a Subaru.

andrea_w, Oct 5, 8:16am
So am I :p

sebatrons13, Oct 5, 8:19am
Haha, would have been my 1st guess too, but An Evo 4.

1jzsupra, Oct 5, 8:19am
Hay, yeah could be a bearing starting to wear out slowly and that can make the shaft under pressure to start that sound or if you are getting low in oil it will tell you at the turbo. sound also for the oil line feeder may be losing oil. and last of all could be losing air or exhaust gases out of it somhow. goodluck

mugenb20b, Oct 5, 8:21am
1. You may have an intercooler hose that's popped off or the like.
2. Remove the hose that goes to the turbo and have a look and wriggle the compressor wheel. Is there any play in there!

sebatrons13, Oct 5, 8:28am
I am hoping its just the oil levels or something, but i checked last week and it seemed to be fine, is due for a change though. Intercooler hoses are allgood, Havent had time to haev a good look at the compressor. Everytime i have spare time the extractors are too hot to get down there ha. What would i have to do it there were too much play in the compressor wheel! Is it a case of rebuilding or buying a new one! What would be better,, well. cheaper.!

Cheers guys

wellabolla, Oct 5, 8:33am
does it kind of sound like a fire siren when you give it a boot full!
if its not boosting and making thaat noise then you can bet ya britches the compressor wheel is rubbing on the housing and its worn the impellors
Get another or get it rebuilt
Just make sure there is plenty of oil pressure to the turbo and the return line is clear and not all gummed up and blocked

sebatrons13, Dec 9, 9:02pm
Yeh well it does sound like something is rubbing. Ill have to pull it off and take it in somewhere to get it sussed out. thanks