Free Boat Woohoo!

Page 2 / 2
a.woodrow, Oct 6, 9:19am
Thanks but it was free from a family member so I won't get rid of it lol. But yes, it'll be all those thing you've described

pollymay, Oct 6, 10:30am
Depends on how steep and muddy the ramp is. If you were a caravanner staying at the waiua pa boat ramp in about 1998 you'd remember a J2 bedford V8 having trouble getting up the ramp which in the end just turned into a skid that covered the carpark, field and entire ramp into rubber smoke. Pretty sure if you go there the smoke will still be hanging in the air.

Waiua pa has always been a bitch for rwd only at half tides and such, too slippery. Other places are pretty good so where does OP launch boats!

fryan1962, Oct 6, 10:48am
wowso they are wasting time manufacturing 4x4
even if it is standard 4x4 with open diffs I would rather that than lsd rear drive
I did have air locker so had 3 wd with 4x4 you have nice lo range and lot more power

icemans1, Oct 6, 10:55am
is the trailer braked!

a.woodrow, Oct 6, 10:57am
Yep pretty sure it is

icemans1, Oct 6, 11:08am
having a braked trailer makes a big difference with what you can tow. the most important thing is the braking distance

a.woodrow, Oct 6, 11:11am
It's not so much the towing I'm worried about, it's the launching and recovery

unclejake, Oct 6, 11:27am
I can't argue with the rest of your post, but GoP boats weren't very heavy. We use to tow a 21ft Pelin Princess with a 2ltr Hilux without issue.

Fibreglass boats were a lot heavier than GoP (back in the day) and the trailers didn't seem to need brakes with the GoP hulls.

Also: I would just lose the VRO and run pre-mixed petrol and oil

elect70, Oct 7, 2:24am
Yep 4wd & low ratiosomething with full chassiss1 discos cheap as chips,under $2G not all ramps are created equal some are on river estuarys& get muddy &greasy . BTW check WOf currentregs regarding tyres .

crzyhrse, Oct 7, 2:43am
I'd say you'd be guessing wrong. Mine's 24 ft, twin outboards, hardtop, carrying 80L of fuel is a mere 1280kg in the trailer.

a.woodrow, Dec 14, 6:16pm
current regs regarding tyres! why's that!