Subaru engines

mk3zephyr, Oct 5, 9:54pm
Wife came home yesterday and her engine in her 95 impreza runabout has now developed a death knock, (Its pretty bad, sounds like a spun bearing noise) checked the oil and water, both bone dry, asked when she last checked them and was told it was my job ( Wonderful, Pass the blame) anyway will now have to source another another engine Car has an EJ18 in it, just a standard 1800 non turbo thing. will an EJ20 bolt up to the 18 trans!, are those engines interchangable or will it be best to stick to the EJ18 donk!, Its actually a good little car for her to run about in, just a shame about the vitals in the engine which i now know is MY job to look after

budgel, Oct 5, 9:56pm
Hell man, you are in the trade arent you!it was always your job!

Good luck with your replacement. (engine or wife!)

mk3zephyr, Oct 5, 10:00pm
nope her car she looks after it, also done the same with the Daughters (which i must say always checks the vitals once a week, good for her), Wifes car is a typical females car, looks like a bombsite inside, absolute tip, probably another reason why i dont touch it lol

jsbike, Oct 5, 10:07pm
EJ anything trans should fit EJ anything motor, much the same as nissan RB. I know some of the later model EJ series stuff has more (or less) holes to bolt the 2 together but will all still fit older. The 1800cc trans may use a diff spec torque converter to the 2L one.

mk3zephyr, Oct 5, 10:28pm
yes thats what i'm enquiring about, can get hold of an EJ20 but dont want to fork out for it if it doesnt fit all the bits and bobs

NZTools, Oct 5, 11:33pm
It will bolt up perfectly, butthe ecu will be different, and it will need certed if someone spots it being different

mk3zephyr, Oct 6, 4:17am
best i just find an EJ18 then haha, Didnt think about the ECU and re-certing etc d'oh

johnf_456, Oct 6, 5:28am
Yup go for ej18 to keep legal especially in the event of an accident someone may spot it.

mk3zephyr, Oct 6, 5:39am
Yea just got to find one, wont be going to our local subaru wrecker, got quoted $1800 for a non turbo with 260K K's on it, would expect that for a standard turbo with that amount of K's on it and 16 years old.

mugenb20b, Oct 6, 5:54am
Why can't you just grind off the engine numbers from the replacement motor! Then, no c.t will know, ever.

mk3zephyr, Oct 6, 7:44am
Or just plead ignorance. "jeez officer it must have been replaced sometime before we bought it" hahahaha

rocker_553, Oct 6, 7:48am
That's ridiculous, and if you bought into highway robbery. You can easily get a high performance engine with loom, ecu, and gearbox for nearly that amount. Keep looking.

ajayzbabe, Oct 6, 9:34am
Im pretty sure a cert isnt required for a straight bolt in 200cc upgrade

morrisman1, Oct 6, 9:54am
yes it is required because you are increasing the capacity of the engine even though it is within the same engine family. The cert rules are kind of lame in the way that you need cert for that sort of thing when the subaru factory probably made exactly what you would need cert for. I cant see it changing any time soon

treachug, Oct 6, 9:57am
Justdid quick google & found on the http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Engine_&_Drive-train_Conversions.pdf website:

'A vehicle is not required to be certified to the Low Volume Vehicle Code,
provided that the safe performance of the vehicle is not compromised,
where the only modifications to the vehicle are those to the engine
originally fitted to the vehicle by the vehicle manufacturer, that result in an
increase of no more than 20% in engine power output from the original
vehicle manufacturer??

a.woodrow, Oct 6, 10:02am
Yep you could bore out your 1800 to 2000 (as long as no more than 20% power increase) but you cant just put the ej20 in.

treachug, Oct 6, 10:05am
another stupidly pedantic rule.lol

a.woodrow, Oct 6, 10:08am
I think you should be able to swap for a same series motor, and in practise a lot of wof inspectors wouldn't notice. I had a 1.5L in my 1.3l laser back when I was a teenager lol what a rebel I was

jsbike, Oct 6, 7:24pm
a wof inspector would be doing pretty well to notice an ej20 in place of an ej18

bent_ate, Oct 8, 3:19pm
just chuck a SBC in her,,, allgood

mk3zephyr, Oct 9, 10:20am
Cost more to get it up here than to buy it just about lol

mk3zephyr, Oct 10, 12:21am
Okelly Dokelly, fired up the engine and started well, can hear an intermittant knock from the drivers side head area of the engine Knock starts then goes for a while then comes back, Could it be the cam bearings! Doesnt sound like its deeper in the engine ie rod, main bearing tho, took the rocker cover off and the valve train is nice and quiet (was hoping it may have been a simple fix in there but noooo), Suppose it will be best to remove the engine and take a look. i dont want to though, cant be bothered hahahahaha

hounddog2, Oct 10, 4:37am
Clubsub would be a the place to ask/browse almost certain someone will know of a cheap one

guest, Feb 14, 8:17pm
Hey dude im new to this forum thing but i recently swapped out an ej20 for an ej18 so reverse of what your doing. Check your water pump. Mine had sheared off its shaft and was making a knocking noise. This is a common problem in older ej engines.