Bad vibrations front suspension

jazzyjack1, Nov 12, 9:54am
I am trying to determine what is going on here:
When I am cruising (foot on gas) I get a noise that sounds like a plastic bumper being dragged on the gound - the faster I go the quicker it sounds.
When I take my foot of the gas - sound goes away.
Could it be wheel bearing! engine mounts or diff!
Vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2000 model with V8.
I checked underneath and in engine - no sign of anything!

thegravelracer, Nov 12, 10:03am
have you taken cam covers of ect and checked for rubbing ect ,could be a large number of things,i take it the noise is quite loud !could be the driveshaft rubbing on mount if the rubber is perished away ! interesting problem

horsepower7, Nov 12, 10:09am
gutted those cars always have problems an they are real expensive to fix. could be anyting, ud be lucky to get a mechanic to look at it hahaha. sorry!

jazzyjack1, Nov 12, 10:11am
Nope, nothing of he above. I am suspecting it is something to do wih the wheel hub / driveline!

franc123, Nov 12, 10:32am
You are going to have to get it checked out by a trained ear, I'd suspect a diff or transfer case problem, maybe even pinion bearings on the way out causing endfloat in the pinion, if that means anything to you.Have seen older 6cyl Cherokees do this in the front diffs.

dave, Oct 3, 7:14am
yes have had similar problem. front dif carrier bearings, shells shot. nosey diff under load and when braking. (bad at around 30 - 40 kph). yes these also can have pinion bearing issues as well but mine was ok this time. these also have a hadit of the pinion nut coing loose if it has the orginal set up.
Hope this helps.