Holden part prices !

matarautrader, Nov 11, 4:52am
Not just Holden but got a price from Holden today for a catylitic (sp) converter for her 2002 Holden Barina, only 108000 km on clock. The cost.only $2295.00 plus GST! Plus fitting etc etc. Anyone got a big hole they need filling!

clark20, Nov 11, 5:15am
Well, Holden changed my spark plugs today, and broke one lead (about 12cm long) and charged me $70 for one! Thanks Holden.

twink19, Nov 11, 6:14am
Holden are rip offoil filter for Cruze $114BNT$25

thejazzpianoma, Nov 11, 7:03am
For the likes of the Barina etc I just order online. It only takes 4-5 days.
Here are a couple of examples:
Holden Vectra Airflow meter
Repco $960
Online $150 incl delivery to my door (Exactly the same genuine part)

Holden Vectra Cam Cover Gasket
Repco $75
Online $50 AND I got two other gaskets as well and delivery for that too.

BTW those are Repco prices but Holden play the same kind of games. That and the local agent dosn't honour the Fair Trading Act or Consumer Guarantees Act so I no longer deal with them on principle.

mugenb20b, Nov 11, 7:07am
That's quite common actually. Once in a while they get badly stuck.

matarautrader, Nov 11, 8:09am
Hi The jazzpianoma are you allowed to say which on line site you use! or is it for garages etc only rather than Joe Bloggs working on his car at home!

saki, Nov 11, 8:27am
You can fit resonator in place of the cat you know, if you rearly wont a cat check with woolf mufflers dominion road

sw20, Nov 11, 8:41am
That is terrible. Genuine BMW oil filters from the stealership are around $25, same with Toyota.

clark20, Nov 11, 8:50am
Yeah I don't mind that much that one breaks, but $70 at TRADE price for one lead is a bit steep, maybe $30.

franc123, Nov 11, 8:36pm
That doesn't surprise, welcome to the world of the Korean car lol.I remember a while back getting quoted something ridiculous like that for an oil filter for one of those butt ugly Ssangyong utes with the Merc Benz copy engine, the agents wanted more for a filter than what the MB agents did, the key sometimes is to get a clued up staff member at BNT to do some cross referencing for you, it gets surprising results.Or getting a source overseas and buying 4 or 5 at a time.Its pretty disgusting when you can buy 4 oil filters and have them freighted straight to your door from across the world for less than what one costs from a local dealership+petrol to drive there and pick it up.I realise that it isn't the case for all vehicles but for some of the more unusual stuff it is.Something not right there!

mm12345, Nov 11, 8:52pm
Many years ago (and I mean decades) AA in aus used to cost up building a complete car from parts purchased new from dealerships. Holden used to consistently win - ie $10k commodore would cost $100,000 in parts, but that was better than a $10k falcon costing $150k.

I thought something like the OP's "Barina" was a "world car" - churned out under various GM badges but using the same components produced in large volume, to keep prices down.

franc123, Nov 11, 8:58pm
It keeps costs down for THEM, not you!It would be interesting to carry out that excercise today, it would take a fair bit of time to cost it out though, a VE Commie is somewhat more complex than what a VH is.I'd be willing to predict that the ratios would be similar, a $50K car would cost about $5-600K to build just in parts from the ground up these days, at least in terms of retail prices.In fact given that we all know that a new car probably costs the manufacturer about half of what it eventually sells for the ratio is more like 20:1.Some of the big ticket items these days like ECU's, ABS units, catalytic converters and airbags that didn't exist, or were very rare in the 1970's and early 80's might tip the balance a bit.

catweazle, Feb 21, 5:56pm
I bought a Commodore over from Australian in 2004. In my experience Holden parts in NZ are much more expensive that in Australia. In fact I think you could start a Trade Me business sourcing common Holden parts in Australia and reselling in NZ on Trade Me.

Once I had a problem with the ABS computer - something like $1200 in NZ and $700 in Oz. I ended up getting it "fixed" by a sparky from Nelson for $200. The problem was so common that another psarky in Auckland knew about it and put me onto the Nelson guy. In the meantime I found out that Holden had over 1000 of the items in stock across NZ and Oz - ready to sell to suckers who did not know that the computer could be repaired.