Any issues with Mitsubishi Chariot/Grandis

Page 1 / 2
armoured, Jan 18, 2:38am
Looking at getting a people mover for the expanding family and these look alright, but are there any major mechanical issues with them that anyone knows about!. Cheers

trdbzr, Jan 18, 2:41am
If it says GDI then walk away

andy61, Jan 18, 2:50am
If it has 3 diamonds on the front WALK AWAY!

flybye_in_a_rx7, Jan 18, 3:23am
+1. even though i own a gdi myself. i've had small problems with this one but have had a worse one. i would steer clear of GDI

ralphdog1, Jan 18, 3:50am
So MT, on the basis of what sounds like a few days ownership you totally disagree.come on you know better than that.don't you!

e.g.cat, Jan 18, 4:00am
We have a 2003 Grandis 2.4 Mivec.Goes like hell whenya want it to, cruises along on the open road nice and not too big (like Previa/Voyager) to park in city parking buildings.Have had it 5 years and never missed a beat, just put fuel in and go.With regular serving and the right juice it runs like a top. I have just purchased a new cambelt and all the associated niceties (will do water pump to save someone else the trouble later) so she's gonna get a birthday shortly.Just turned over 100k.Everyone has a horror story about something - mine were Mazda's that cost me money - so don't listen to all the negative stuff buddy, go and see for yourself.I hope that helps, Cheers, Matt.

armoured, Jan 18, 4:05am
Interesting feedback. I've previously owned a 1998 Mitsi RVR GDI (1.8L) and the only issue I had with it was it burning out plug extensions (dunno if that's the right term) which were stuff all to replace. I've read through the dog and lemon guide and although the end result is "not recommended", the faults they list in there should be fixed by factory recall and marked with paint as applicable. I also have a mechanic mate who's had a 2.4 RVR for a number of years without any major issues, but really wanted feedback from mechanics/owners so I can make an educated guess on this type of vehicle. Cheers

armoured, Jan 18, 4:08am
Funnily enough, Mazda's are on my blacklist too. Cheers for the feedback

mugenb20b, Jan 18, 5:23am
That's a totally different car from the Grandis, they have nothing in common. Your POS RVR suffers from automatic transmission and ECU failures and oil consumption is a standard feature.

mugenb20b, Jan 18, 5:25am
Yes, don't even look at them, just walk away.

Have a look at lade model Toyota Ipsums and Previas, Mazda Premacy, Honda Odyssey, and Nissan Presage.

mugenb20b, Jan 18, 5:28am
Latest model Premacy and MPV are fantastic vehicles. But, like most cars, they will play up if they had a hard life.

male_timaru, Jan 18, 7:39am
gosh sorry it's not a POS CRV or HRV lol Don;t even get me started on that amazing Honda design!

Oh and i was referring to Andy comment about any Mitsi - nothing related to a Grandis ! READ AND REPLY not jump to conclusions lol!

The RVR is a great vehicle - oil consumption is not a problem in the 4g63 NON turbo (same as any SHIPWRECK of a HONDA!)

Auto trans is the well known solenoid problem - and it is a VERY easy fix and is $400 TOPS to fix

As is the ECU problem - which once it presents itself (if you wait that long) is a $250 TOPS fix so it never happens again!

So when you buy one for the price i did and get those done you have an awesome fuel efficient (despite being full time 4wd and auto and 2 litre) vehicle with heaps of room, imho looks great and is lovely to drive - and handles wonderfully with a great sitting position looking over the road

FAR and BEYOND better than the POS Hondas i have ever owned!

male_timaru, Jan 18, 7:41am
Erm I have owned Mitsis pretty much throughout the last 12 years - they're my favourite cars (alongside Subys)

I have had 3 Chariot/Rvrs and both Auto and Manual

mugenb20b, Jan 18, 7:49am
You know M_T.a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. You know some things about some cars, but, looking at the comment you just made, you know very little overall. Maybe if you spend some time in the trade working as a mechanic, your opinions about certain cars might change. You are even comparing your RVR to a Grandis, those cars share nothing but a badge.
Any car can be a POS, it all depends on how much you pay for it, its service history and if you are aware of what you are getting. If you ended up with a POS Honda, then clearly, you had no clue at what you were looking at before you handed over your money.

male_timaru, Jan 18, 8:22am
WRONG - I never compared it to a Grandis at all

SO YOU GOT WRONG END OF STICK - as per usual! lololol

Why don't we go into how much HONDAS rust out, how much the headligts fail on the pop versions, the inner cv joints on them crap out real quickly

Also how they use oil like they're going out of fashion most of the time, How the engine mounts break and soften REALLY quickly

Also whilst we're on the YOU hate Mitsi thread lol - explain to me how come I get such good mileage out of a car that is supposed to be a hunk of crap and thirsty and an oil guzzler lol

Has used no oil at all in the 1000kms i have driven it for - not one drop of oil on ground not one bit of water lost in cooling system, not one iota of a problem on the trans, not one of the problems you have so vigorously mentioned about rvr's

Oh and coincidentally - none of previous 3 owners have experienced any of those problems either lol!

kazbanz, Jan 18, 8:26am
armoured--look I don't buy them to sell but I've traded a few GDI 2.4 engined ones and they ALL smoke like a train when cold. This is my personal experience so in fairness keep in mind-folk trade cars in for a reason

armoured, Jan 18, 9:12am
Although they got good reviews the Toyota ipsum and previas look like a freakin venga bus, the Honda Odyssey had a final recommendation of "avoid like the plague". The Mazda premacy is on my radar too. Cheers

mugenb20b, Jan 18, 9:13am
M_T, honestly, I have no idea where you get all this info from. Because most of it is BS, early Hondas did rust, but so did other cars of that era. I've had 1 Civic, 2 Accords (one of those had pop up head lights, had it for 6 years and 110 000kms), 1 Orthia, and now we have an Odyssey, which was faultless since we bought it. Most of these cars were driven hard, and never had a failed or noisy CV joint. And Hondas using oil! WTF! Seriously! If it's some poor neglected example, maybe. But, to this day, none of my Hondas ever used oil, not even the Accord when I sold it (@340 000kms).

mugenb20b, Jan 18, 9:14am
You read the Dog and Lemon guide, right!

armoured, Jan 18, 9:25am
Cheers mate. From my experience variations in parts in the same make of vehicle can make a huge difference in the event that the car plays up. I'm pretty vigilant with servicing my vehicles, so I might just do a bit more homework on key components as the bones look sound

armoured, Jan 18, 9:31am
Yup, with the chariot/grandis alot of the issues are dependent on where the vehicle was assembled and if the vehicle was recalled. In the process of doing my homework, and in the guide there aren't too many vehicles that advance beyond "not recommended".that'-
s why I'm after feedback on here. Not so much after the pissing match about which make is better!

kazbanz, Jan 18, 9:41am
Armoured-look a quick education -you probably already know but what the hey
The Grandis IS mitzi's direct competition to the Honda odyssey and the ipsum size wise--they are all nigh on identical
I can honestly say I have rarely had issues with odysseys so suspect mr D and L is tellin porkies.
The Premacy is the next size down -but uses as much fuel as the bigger vehicles.--Im not saying dont buy it --just be aware its not the cheapest on fuel

armoured, Jan 18, 9:51am
Yeah I'm taking heed of the D & L guide, but there are alot of vehicles in there that have a bad rap, but have been praised by mates who have owned them.so I think it really comes down to maintenance and running them on good fuel (I don't even use that 91 crap in my lawnmower!)

snoopy221, Jan 18, 12:35pm
Gawd M T and a MT SA BISHI.
mmkay.so MT ya OWN it and it owns ya PINGAS-AOOWOO

Did ya score it for a coupla hundy!.

Y'all be roit if!
IF!

yA DID.

richard198, Jan 18, 8:20pm
So, $650 spent so far. How long have you had it! A few months did you say! So at that rate, it's going to cost you $2600 every year in repairs!