FJ Holden imports into nz

fryan1962, Nov 15, 8:10am
Does anyone know how many came into nz !

franc123, Nov 15, 8:26am
I've only ever seen an estimated figure of about 2000 overall through GM, 320 of which were in the first year Holdens were ever sold here (1954).I believe the majority were Specials. The numbers will have obviously been boosted by private imports in later years.The overall numbers would have been way less than the Vauxhall Velox/Wyvern/Cresta etc that were sold at the same time thats for sure.

fryan1962, Nov 15, 8:37am
I have some friends in oz who are interested,,specials are more common than standards extra bling for not a lot more money

Can you remember where you saw figure of 2000!

jmma, Nov 15, 8:53am

fryan1962, Nov 15, 9:17am
thanks but no help
The FJ was the first Holden to be exported. The first batch comprised 30 cars which were sent to New Zealand in 1954, and a total of 321 had been exported by the end of that year.
Which is what other guy said but he added figure of 2000

ema1, Nov 15, 10:33am
My Nana bought a FJ Holden in early January 1955 from Blackwells in Christchurch.
Cream colour with dark red/black speckled grained upholstery.
It was traded in for a fawn coloured 1964 Holden EH Special with the brown two toned upholstery that had a sort of silvery sheen in it, was bought around April of that year shortly after my Nana passed away.
I traveled various times in both those cars.
The EH was traded in for a 1971 HG Holden Kingswood 186cid sedan nice car it was too I recall, only rode once in that one.
I remember it being said way back that my Nana's FJ Holden was one of the early ones imported into NZ at the end of 1954.
My Dad put his name down for one in 1956 and was offered one of the later FE models in 1958 but in between times bought a Morris Oxford in 1957 so someone had a chance to "jump the queue I guess."

fryan1962, Nov 15, 1:43pm
ema1. thank you great storysounds great.Morris oxford was my grand fathers car

I saw a Morris isis.it is a 6 cylinder and longer guards longer bonnet I never had seen one before

zephyrheaven, Nov 15, 6:15pm
We built one FJ out of about 4 when restoring one a few years back if that helps

modie61, Nov 15, 6:59pm
There is a FJ in poor condition in Linden near Wellington,im going that way this morning so will see if it is still there. Dark green i think.
Years ago i had a photo of FJs being unloaded at the wharf,i dont know where that photo is now.

franc123, Nov 16, 4:49am
NZCC did an article on a restored FJ many years ago and as they often do there was a few facts and figures about them included, pretty sure thats where it came from.GMH were pretty hard pressed to keep up with demand for FJ's in Australia and were constantly having to ramp up production, a station wagon was planned and a few proto's were built but it never happened until the FE series, it was really a 4 door panel van with windows in it.We were lucky to get any export units at all really.The FE was the first to be assembled at GM Petone and was able to be sold in greater numbers.

ema1, Nov 16, 5:10am
Yep I owned a Morris Oxford Series 3 1958 back in the 1960's myself loved it, real comfy well built car.wouldn't mind one again actually as a project !
I had an Uncle who owned a Morris Isis 1957 as well drove it a few times , gearshift down by the drivers door beside handbrake was rather novel.
Some Wolseley 6/90's were similar in that respect also, plus they ran pretty much the same running gear actually.

cp4643, Nov 17, 9:42am
The NZ Motor Trade yearbook for 1957 gives figures for new cars registered in NZ year by year, it says for Holden, 1954 150. 1955 1401. 1956 1905. 1956 would of course include the FE series as well as FJ.

fryan1962, Nov 17, 6:38pm
cp4643 nice one thanks a lot

fryan1962, Nov 21, 7:01pm
Holden what a cool ledger to have.I am a moderator on www.fxfjholden.com
I now live in nz, and bought my FJ over.it was a discussion we had as to how many cars

one of the guys is a numbers man and has ledger of id plates

do you mind if I post photo of you ledger on the web site!

ema1, Nov 16, 5:10am
Yep I owned a Morris Oxford Series 3 1958 back in the 1960's myself loved it, real comfy well built car.wouldn't mind one again actually as a project !
I had an Uncle who owned a Morris Isis 1957 as well drove it a few times , gearshift down by the drivers door beside handbrake was rather novel.
Some Wolseley 6/90's were similar in that respect also, plus they ran pretty much the same running gear actually.
I also had Wolseley 16/60, Riley 4/72 cars as well as a several 1100's and 1300's of most of the BMC makes except the Van Den Plas one.
Also had a 1965 BMC Freeway Mk2 back in 1968 after the Oxford, basically it was an Australian BMC variant of the Morris Oxford but with a 6 cylinder version of the 1622 'B' series engine = 2433cc it was.