How much do you pay for oil change

Page 1 / 2
brokebloke1, Nov 16, 8:09am
Partner had a quote for a oil change on her ford AU XR6 price to do oil change $135 + oil and filter , personally I thought this was maybe a bit too dear!

ryans, Nov 16, 8:18am
I paid $64 to do it myself.
Add 1/2 hour for labour ($50 or so) and the fact that a garage will warranty its work and it's not hugely expensive.

franc123, Nov 16, 8:26am
$135 including oil and filter isn't too bad, if thats extra then that isn't too good!

kazbanz, Nov 16, 8:27am
about $20 all up

taipan4, Nov 16, 8:39am
how hard is it spin the filter off undo the sump plug & drain oil not rocket science & there are plenty of tales about garages not doing the plug up or overfilling

sw20, Nov 16, 8:43am
Go see James at Neil Stuart Automotive.

tuttyclan, Nov 16, 8:46am
Between $35 and $50 for oil and filter depending on which car I do and thats doing it myself.

mugenb20b, Nov 16, 9:04am
XR6 holds at least 5 litres of oil, maybe even 6 + filter, that's already $70 odd. The rest is labour that also covers checking other things like fluid levels, tyre pressures, brake lining checks, etc. $135 isn't bad at all. Or is it $135 + Oil + filter! If that's the case, go somewhere else.

zoltec45, Nov 16, 9:30am
Ring a Ford dealer then reconsider your approach to $135 being expensive

phillip.weston, Nov 16, 9:32am
That's $135 just for labour - add another $50-70 for oil and $20 for filter and it can easily be $220+. To me 30-60 mins of labour seems more fair.

scoobeey, Nov 16, 9:52am
60 min lol what you doin 4 cars :)

richynuts, Nov 16, 9:56am
$95 for oil change/filter and WOF do it every 6 months so about 5000kms, not worth me getting under the car for that price.

unbeatabull, Nov 16, 6:13pm
Depends if its a Service, or just a oil/filter. AU's take 5.5L oil normally.

Gotta remember a full service is roughly 1.5 hours labour, so $135 wouldn't be too bad if it is indeed a Full service.

flybye_in_a_rx7, Nov 16, 6:45pm
wow thats a good deal. dont get that over this side. costs me $65 to do it myself. oil $50 filter $15

gusthe1, Nov 16, 6:53pm
Thats a messy way to do it. Try undoing the sump plug first. That way less oil on the floor when you "spin the filter off". Or leave it to the pro's.

phillip.weston, Nov 16, 8:09pm
I was stating worst case scenario - either way it's no where near $135 worth of labour which I can only assume is at least 1.5 hours. Some cars require the removal of under body panels etc to gain access to filters and drain plugs.

Time all adds up by the time you drive the car in on a hoist, lift it up, undo anything in the way of the filter/drain plug, drain the oil, remove the filter, keep waiting for all the oil to drain out, fill new filter and fit, keep waiting for oil to drain out, put some fresh oil in while drain plug is still out to flush out the last of the old oil, keep waiting for said oil to drain out, fit sump plug and new washer, re-fit any parts removed to gain access, drop car down off hoist, re-fill with oil, wait for oil level to settle, top up again, wait for oil level to settle, top up again, perform initial start up (preferably with no ignition so oil pressure is gained before starting), take for quick test drive, put car back up on the hoist and check for leaks with inspection lamp, drop car back off hoist and park back in the parking lot ready for the customer.

phillip.weston, Nov 16, 8:12pm
Yeah $135 + cost of oil/filter wouldn't be bad if it were a full service, however the original poster has stated that they were quoted the $135 just for the labour to do an oil/filter change, and then add the cost of the consumables on top of that.

tgray, Nov 16, 8:26pm
Don't know how you do that Kaz.
Filter is about $15 and the cheapest oil on the market would cost you $16.99 from the warehouse, LOL.

phillip.weston, Nov 16, 8:42pm
you obviously don't buy oil in bulk or have trade accounts setup then Toby! Even I bought my oil by the 10-20L drum and filters for most cars were $5-8+GST for Ryco or WIX brand from a well known supplier - and I'm sure you could get cheaper still.

mopsy3, Nov 16, 9:14pm
Would be interested to know why OP considers this expensive and what he considers fair. Not to mention what is his knowledge of such things!

mopsy3, Nov 16, 9:22pm
No actually, ha says - Partner had a quote for a oil change on her ford AU XR6 price to do oil change $135 + oil and filter.Does not say it is for labour only. As I read it the quote is for the completed job.

dj.indica., Nov 16, 9:41pm
We do an oil and filter service for $85

phillip.weston, Nov 16, 9:41pm
then what else do you think that $135 would be for! She says "oil change" not "service", and given that it says PLUS oil and filter (which could cost an additional $50-100 depending on quality for both), you would assume that the $135 is for the labour content of the job.

the_don_61, Nov 16, 10:08pm
Nissan v8 holds about 6 liters of oil.
Oil and filter and that place in fizgearld ave charge just under $100.

mugenb20b, Nov 16, 11:29pm
Oil (trade price) $3.00 +/-per litre, so 4 x 3.00 = $12.00. Oil filter (trade price) $7 to $8 usually. Adds up to around $20. That's for most 4 cylinder petrol Jap cars. Different story for larger or diesel cars.