Getting a de-reistered bike back on the road

glyn4, Nov 17, 9:11am
I've just bought an old but tidy Honda. The bike has the old plate on but no papers. Carjam says the plate is not registered, but 0800 plates says it is not available! It's a black plate which I'd be keen to keep. Does anyone know the best thing to do! Just take it to the VTNZ place and tell them the story! I wonder how much $$!

hurricaneken, Nov 17, 10:12am
reregistering is easy jut get police check form completed and a brake declaration done if necessary, but i dont think they will let u keep the plate so not shure what your going to do there.

bitsy_boffin, Nov 17, 10:44am
You can keep the old black plate IF you can show it had that plate last.

No papers might make that difficult if it's not in the NZTA system any more.

Getting it back on the road again legit could be very easy or very hard, best idea is to talk to a compliance guy, if you post over at Kiwibiker you might get a name of good ones for bikes in your area.

kazbanz, Nov 17, 8:28pm
Glyn4have a look at this link. It is a step by step on how to get it done
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/105993-How-to-get-a-a-deregistered-bike-on-the-road
Im sorry bitsythAt isn't the case. The bike is dergistered and ends up getting new plates. It would be an interesting exersize to see if an old and out of the system rego number could be purchased as a personalised plate. Then theres no reason the old plate isn't legit

bitsy_boffin, Nov 17, 9:07pm
You are incorrect
Re-issuing black and silver ordinary plates

In certain circumstances the NZTA will allow the re-issue of a vehicle's older style black and silver plates. The following conditions apply.

The number on the plates must be still available. Sometimes people use a number from the old black plates and put it on a personalised plate ??

bitsy_boffin, Nov 17, 9:08pm
This rule only applies to those who are re-registering their vehicle. For example, if a vehicle is currently registered with plates but previously had black and silver plates, these cannot be re-issued. Any person who is re-registering their vehicle and wishes to have their black and silver plates re-issued can write to the NZTA at:

Transport Registry Centre
Attention: Team Leader Business Administration
Private Bag 11777

Palmerston North 4442
If approved, the NZTA will send a letter which includes a reference number that must be provided to the agent processing your registration application when re-registering the vehicle. This number confirms that the plates may remain affixed to the vehicle and that new plates are not required.

franc123, Nov 18, 7:19am
Thanks for that info there BB, was that from the NZTA website!I'm going to need to do exactly that soon.

glyn4, Nov 18, 7:32am
Thanks all, that is such great advice. I'll have a chat to the folks at VTNZ this w/e also. Looks like it shouldn;t be a major.

bitsy_boffin, Nov 18, 7:33am

franc123, Nov 18, 7:40am
Superb thanks, good also to see the bit about getting new plates made to replace damaged or destroyed ones and also about getting duplicates.

kazbanz, Nov 18, 8:34am
Well I'll be blowed --Ya know I diddn't know that. I've always been told you can't reissue the old plates.--Heck I learnbed summat today.
Now has anyone actually done it! -

franc123, Mar 15, 12:51am
Have a look at the dates on the factsheets and other info Kaz, they are only changes implemented this year, in fact only in the last few months.I didn't know about much of this stuff either and I'm in the industry as you are.I did know that the legislation re number plates and their display was changed earlier this year, you know, passed in parliament 'n all but didn't know that duplicate or outright replacement plates were being done.And all for a mere $20 delivered to your door too.