External waste gates LEGAL !

Page 1 / 2
bevharris1938, Nov 18, 7:56pm
Or not !

bevharris1938, Nov 18, 8:00pm
My car just passed a WOF with one , the guy i brought it off also put a new WOF on the car with it on. Are they much like a BOV , just make a noise but don't really help the car performance.!

mugenb20b, Nov 18, 8:04pm
Blow off valve or waste gate!

bevharris1938, Nov 18, 8:06pm
waste gate

kwkbrk, Nov 18, 8:07pm
Is that strictly true mugen ! If its external but plumbed into the exhaust its legal I thought. Even if its external and plumbed to atmo, but vents behind the rearmost passenger door its also legal I thought, provided theres no excess noise issues. I thought illegal only if plumbed to atmo then dropped straight to the ground .

bevharris1938, Nov 18, 8:09pm
Mine aint plumbed into anything , straight into the atmosphere

mugenb20b, Nov 18, 8:09pm
Correct.

kwkbrk, Nov 18, 8:10pm
Just for the record bevharris BOV`s are important for turbo applications . and not all of them are noisy, they certainly don`t have to be. And external wastegates are pretty much useful in high boost applications only, where there is difficulty in maintaining stable boost control otherwise.

zooki007, Nov 18, 8:11pm
External waste gates are legal but they now have to be certified. And the dump pipe must be plumbed into the exhaust or run to the back of the vehicle and have its own muffler.Any modifications to a std waste gate must be certed now.

mugenb20b, Nov 18, 8:11pm
Is that what some people do! What a waste of time.

bevharris1938, Nov 18, 8:12pm
Car is a rx7 with to4e turbo ,running .6 bar boost. Apexi power FC fuel management.

kwkbrk, Nov 18, 8:12pm
In which case you`re lucky but running the risk of a pink sticker . though again I`m not certain what the situation is if it vents at the rear of the car .

kwkbrk, Nov 18, 8:14pm
No argument from me about that !
bevharris . .6 bar doesn`t make it necessary to me. I`m talking more like 2 bars + .

bevharris1938, Nov 18, 8:16pm
Owe , ok kwkbrk , thanks for the info , they guy that had it before me put all this shit on it , i like the noise off the wastegate but that BOV , over that

mugenb20b, Nov 18, 8:17pm
6 bar!

kwkbrk, Nov 18, 8:27pm
. ha ha . 0.6 bar I think it says !
bevharris . get the BOV plumbed back into the intake, it will shut it up and the car will probably go better !
As for the external . I agree about the sound but it will get you into trouble at some point !

thegravelracer, Nov 18, 10:06pm
yeah na !

crzyhrse, Nov 18, 11:00pm
And that is the reason it's the correct convention to show a leading zero on all figures <1.
0.6 Bar.

pollymay, Nov 19, 4:57am
*low boost* The lower your boost the more air through the wastegate especially lower boost on a smaller turbo. The wastegate will only be slightly cracked if you are boosting high cause most of the exhaust will be directed through the exhaust turbine. High boost your biggest issue is spikes which an electronic boost control can be set to manage.

bevharris1938, Nov 19, 5:14am
Thanks for your info guys , but getting back to the main question , why to local garages issues a WOF with and external waste gate vented to atmosphere !

p_rock, Nov 19, 5:16am
They gotta be plumbed back don't they! If it got a pass, then issuer not doing their job really.

bevharris1938, Nov 19, 5:27am
Sweet , i'm going back there. They arn't a saftey issue are they when vented to atmosphere !

beblowin, Nov 19, 5:39am
not a saftey issue but they sound like crap, would rather listen to a noisy gear drive or gates driven belt drive any day.

zooki007, Nov 19, 5:41am
Because either they're slack or they don't know what they're doing.
Either way they will be caught out in the end and those with WOF's can be recalled to be reinspected.

absolutelyfunky, Nov 19, 7:34am
http://www.collegeparktuning.com/showthread.php!t=2081

Turbos 101 explains pretty much everything you need to know about turbos.