! Car alarms and remote car door opener

pengy2, Nov 19, 6:06am
Was getting in my car today, went to open my locked car door with my remote and when I did, I noticed a random car parked reasonable distance away,across the other side of road, its alarm went off at the exact second I pressed my remote-their alarm started blaring loudly with various whooops and siren noises as they do-Ithought it was odd-so I locked my door and the other cars alarm stopped. I opened my door with my remote again and the cars alarm activated again. A couple of more plays and all went quiet.(was just beginning to have fun, haha) Does anyone know why this happened, did I actually unlock the other car to activate their alarm or did my remote just somehow activate their alarm only! Can remotes open other cars!

motorway, Nov 19, 6:10am
Are you sure this actually happened!

pengy2, Nov 19, 6:16am
Are you implying I imagined it! Or possibly total coincidence!

bae13, Nov 19, 6:18am
What brand of alarm do you have.Remotes are usually rolling code so the chances of it happening is zero. But if the remote you have was coded into the other car (if the installer had coded to another car during install if they had a faultor however else this could happen)then sure this will happen. What's worse is the other owner can get into your car too. Usually alarms accept an amount of remotes usually 4 at one time.I suggest you get the ones you have recoded to kick out any that the alarm knows, that you don't haveso only the remotes you have work

pengy2, Nov 19, 6:23am
The car I was using doesnt have an alarm -it has an immobiliser though. I was using the remote to unlock its door. The caris 3 years old. I was interested to know if this was a security issue for both cars.

pengy2, Nov 19, 6:26am
To be quite honest I think it has happened before but had shrugged it off as coincidence and had not thought more about it. I am going to be more aware now.

bae13, Nov 19, 6:32am
Oh ok you mean you where using the factory keyAnd pushing the button on that.Or is it an aftermarket immobiliser! If its factory and this did happen I would be surprised but highly concerned, was the other car same brand of car

pengy2, Nov 19, 8:18am
Used just the key with button remote as supplied with car. No the other car wasnt same brand, not sure what it was though. In hindsight I should have gone across the road and checked it out some more.

budgel, Nov 19, 7:09pm
I have had that happen once in a carpark, I pressed the button for my car to bleep to show me where it was and another car's lights flashed as well. I tried it a couple of times and went on my way. (In my car, not theirs).
It was a dealer fitted Alpine alarm in a Mazda ute.

kazbanz, Nov 19, 8:59pm
I guess kinda like lotto eventually the same number has to come up twice.

t0ddles, Nov 19, 9:21pm
My neighbour opened up a stranger ford territory with her territory key at the shops carpark once. She and the stranger were rather shocked, so went to the ford dealership. they said its highly unlikely to have happened in the first place or ever happen again. just coincidence the same number popped up.

saxman99, Nov 20, 3:54am
.your neighbour across the street is messing with you.Sees you coming and starts playing with his remote.

skully13, Mar 19, 8:48pm
There is a car that my alarm remote sets off every time it is parked near ours. Has happened three times at the supermarket now. Keeps me amused setting it off as other people park or walk next to it. But I have not had theirs unlock or do anything to our car.