XG/F DOOR HANDLE CONVERSION

cam78, Nov 27, 9:21am
anyone done this! I want to graft in au/ba door handles to my xg ute,coz factory xg xd xe xf ones break all the time and are bloody hideous!
failing that,i was thinking of putting in poppers and shaving the handles. whats the legality of that!

mellisa2000, Nov 27, 11:14am
Poppers legal. Grafted handles! Any thing is possible, budget dependent.

grangies, Nov 27, 6:39pm
As above. Any thing is possible depending on your budget.

Grafting those door handles IS NOT an easy task though.

For example, the door handles on the XG is just a basic one piece handle that is bolted above a recess that has been stamped into the sheet-metal of the door skin. And the door key barrel is clipped on as a separate component below it.

The AU and BA door handle are flush mounted into actual holes in the door skin, and have the key barrels incorporated into the handle itself.

So both exterior and interior modifications would be needed.

The sheet metal on AU an BA doors where the handles are inserted, is also not completely flat. It may look it, but is actually very gradually curved starting from the swage line above the handle.

But hey. If you've got plenty of $$$ to burn, then go for it.

sifty, Nov 27, 7:12pm
yeah great design those XD-XF handles eh. recall replacing a few myself

franc123, Nov 27, 11:29pm
Its hardly Fords fault that people cannot replace worn out door hinge pins and repair sagging and misaligned doors that should have been dealt with YEARS ago.And then moan because they chuck Taiwanese door handles at them one after the other and wonder why they break!The solution is to fit GENUINE Mk4/5 Cortina ones with a slight mod that are made out of better material and rectify the above door issues!Anything else is a major (and certifiable) engineering excercise.

mike77, Apr 13, 7:18pm
I believe you can retro fit EB ED handles with only a slight modification to a XG. But haven't done it.