Toyota Avensis. Hi have only just really noticed the toyota avensis listation wagonit looks like a great car does anybody know p

bmw22, Nov 19, 8:31am
Hi, have only just really noticed the Toyota Avensis Li.station wagon.It looks like a great car, does anybody know pro's and con's of the cars! what is the boot space etc like! how do they perform! are they a good family car!
Thanks for your feedback

fordcrzy, Nov 19, 9:38am
the engines are a bit small .1800cc for a big ass wagon aint gonna cut it on the open road.you can get the 2 liter one also but i don't think they do the 2.4 liter as fitted to the IPSUM (the ipsum is actually a "avensis verso
'based on the avensis wagon)

trdbzr, Nov 19, 9:40am
They are good, solid, reliable cars. And they are also very safe as well. When they were launched in Europe it was the most safest vehicle and they come with a CVT gearbox. They also do look quite nice as well.

trdbzr, Nov 19, 9:41am
The 2005+ do come in 2.4L

fordcrzy, Nov 19, 9:43am
ah thanks i knew they didnt do the 2.4 in the early ones. if you wantde to tow or do a lot of open road then maybe look at the 2.4 over the 2 liter.and forget about the 1800 all together

phillip.weston, Nov 19, 9:44am
Boring. Overpriced. Bland. Under powered. Can find much better for the same price.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 19, 9:47am
I will probably get hated on for saying this but.

I fail to see the point in these cars, its Toyota's attempt to offer a level of equipment and sophistication to try and compete with the likes of VW etc. Yet in the age group you are looking at they are still mucking about with a horrid old 4 speed auto and because of the extra gear they have added there is no reliability advantage.

You may as well buy one of the "proper cars" in that segment as Toyota fail on their extreme reliability and still don't make the cut competing on features, comfort, sophistication etc.

Also. for that money you could buy a Skoda or VW Passat with the fantastic new FSI engines or even a cracker Diesel coupled with the game changing DSG transmission. The Skoda/VW absolutely blows the Toyota out of the water in the approx 15K bracket. Try one yourself and see.

fordcrzy, Nov 19, 10:43am
the 4 speed box is a dog even in tiptronic form.we have an ipsum and the box drives me nuts.it has a mind of its own,,,,chops down gears when it doesnt really need to.chops down when applying only light throttle.the ecu programming is rubbish for the auto control.

kazbanz, Nov 19, 9:01pm
fordcrzy-Talk to someone REALLY knowledgeable in Toyota.
I'm happy to stand corrected but I think your car can be wiped of memory and then it actually learns your driving patters.

hyphen, Nov 19, 9:31pm
pros - up to 2007 they had the clit-button snout.
cons - later models didn't.

raquel, Jul 22, 1:42am
I'm wondering if I can kick this thread off again. I'm seriously considering buying an immaculate 07 Avensis with 95K km. I've read all the motoring press reviews, I know they blast them as ordinary and boring. However, I am not the audience they are writing for: I want safe. I want reliable. I want cheap to service, easy to get parts for. I want fuel efficient. I've had a power of fun driving a Lexus IS200 with custom suspension ... and it's time for a wagon. My plan is to find a car that works for me and run it for the next 10 years. And I can't see a decent alternative. The Mondeo was an obvious choice until I saw the fuel consumption figures for the petrol engine (I don't want a diesel) and it's bigger than I need. I get that Skodas are awesome, but there's barely an Octavia around for $15K and they're diesel (and with European service prices). Fielders and Accords don't have the safety specs I want (esp the NZ new Fielders, what was with that?!?). Mitsubishis with their GDi motors and Subarus were never in contention. Mazda 6 is pricey and I was underwhelmed when I test drove one (and my mechanic says they have suspension problems).

What does that leave me with? A Ford Focus wagon (ugh) or a Wingroad? Have to say the Avensis is looking pretty damn fine as an alternative to them.

But ... based on comments above I'm starting to look at the Passat 2 litre wagon. And: European service prices right?

Any opinions gentleman? I'm sure you do.

raquel, Jul 22, 3:20am
Somehow I overlooked the fact the Avensis has a D4 engine ... which leaves me seriously looking for alternatives. And it doesn't seem to be a Passat, after what I've just read about issues with reliability and high, high service costs.