Toyota ignition

rthomas80, Feb 3, 12:56am
about how much would it cost for a 1996 toyota ipsum, the key stopped working so we got a new key now our other old key wont work so got a spare cut and it seems sometimes the new ones wont always work, so im thinking ignition needs replacing

ambo11, Feb 3, 1:05am
Had a similar episode recently with our RAV4, the key had a number stamped on it which I took to a locksmith who cut the key from the number back to original.looked quite different to the old key.getting new keys cut off old ones is useless with the Toyotas apparently, the coded ones cut from that number on the original key push the workings of the locks back to original positions. Maybe a bit of graphite powder too in the lock may help.

rthomas80, Feb 3, 1:41am
so maybe ring toyota might be best

ambo11, Feb 3, 1:45am
"If" one of your Toyota keys has numbers stamped in it then go to a locksmith/key cutting place.Toyota will be much more expensive.

intrade, Feb 3, 5:03am
the driver door has numbers on it i think also as from that they can cut a new key also

rthomas80, Feb 3, 7:45am
i rung the locksmith and he will check he doesnt think its the key as both new keys he only laser cut a couple of weeks ago

intrade, Feb 3, 8:03am
did he cut em from the numbers or of a old key!

ambo11, Feb 3, 8:38am
Amen.if he cut them off the old worn key pattern they will be as much use as a chocolate teapot.

ema1, Feb 3, 12:15pm
Give the lock barrel a good old drowning with CRC, make sure you have something underneath it to catch the excess CRC and the dirt etc!
CRC after a short while dries out good and barrel operates as normal again.
The barrels do tend to get crap and dust etc in them that can foul the workings up somewhat, I have done that with several and had no problems what so ever afterwards.
Wear and tear does play a part though if it's been a good while with the problem the OP is talking about.
Do the old CRC drowning trick first and see how you go, you'll be surprised just how much black/dark colored crap flows out of the ignition barrel. Good Luck.

carkeys4u, Feb 3, 7:42pm
these locks use split wafers. when the wafers and keys get worn they stop working. a new key cut to code may fix it for awhile but your best option is to get the lock reconditioned. you will find generally the lock will turn just enough to release the steering lock. also graphite is the worst thing to put into these.