Race lights

socram, Nov 20, 3:00am
In wet conditions with spray and mist, why aren't race cars displaying front lights!
Can't see a thing behind you so why no front lights compulsory! Rear lights only are required.Just watching Aussie V8s but same rules apply here.

twink19, Nov 20, 3:09am
rear rain lights, the flashing ones should be mandatory, at Taupo last nat meeting in wet, some cars rear tail lights were almost not visible with out the rain
just waiting for race 26 to start

bill-robinson, Nov 20, 3:40am
I am sure that a set of lights would look good and could aerodynamically enhance an F1 car. Why worry about the guy behind you, just pass the guy in front who you can see.

40wav, Nov 20, 5:03am
Haha.a nice big set of Narva's on the front wing, maybe some hillbilly hunting spotlights on the back wing too! About as much use.

socram, Nov 20, 8:00am
For those too dumb to realise it, overtaking does happen and if you can't see someone coming up behind you, the potential to move across and cause a major accident is far too high at the speeds these guys are racing.
It's only a couple of weeks ago we lost Dan Wheldon (in the dry) and if two or three of these Aussie V8s explode into the crowd, the carnage doesn't bear thinking about.If you think the catch fencing will stop carnage, think again.Dean Fulford's Porsche climbed the fence and landed on the spectator side of Pukekohe's front straight if you remember.

Most of you will be far too young to remember the 1955 Le Mans crash that killed 85 people and the result was the end of all motorsport in one or two countries, including Switzerland. The roll cage might protect the driver in a biggie, but not the spectators.

clark20, Nov 20, 8:01am
Maybe a nice set of LED DRLs on the front

bill-robinson, Nov 20, 5:47pm
Well if you consider it dangerous to race when it is raining. turn the engine off and walk away. Remember motor racing is DANGEROUS. You as adriver have the final say. I emember a classic video showing how difficult it is to see in the rain driving an F1 car. this red taillight appeared out of the mist and got hit by the camera car. So much for FIA taillights

kazbanz, Nov 20, 8:33pm
socramI respect your experience here but I just can't see how headlights would improve safety in the wet. I could actually see them having a negative effect -ie blinding light in the mirrors.
I could see an arguement for some kind of foglight/driving light being fitted but the issue there can be depth perception. Ie the car seems to be further away than they actually are

elect70, Nov 21, 12:23am
F1 boys seem to cope ,i dont think you need to worry too much socramthose classic trials dont exactlyreachhigh speed .

unclejake, Nov 21, 1:56am
They shouldn't blind you in the rain, but I guess someone would try to set up their front light(s) to annoy the competitors

Pre65 brought in a club rule that all rain lights (red rear facing) had to be LED. It made a HUGE difference to visibility.

Unless you are in the lead, driving a race car in the wet is scary as hell. Due to spray off the front cars visibility can be almost nil.

WRT classic speeds: those cars also have classic brakes. My 1500cc Mk1 Cortina could top 200kmph at Puke, and not much less at Manfield. All this on drum brakes. That isn't fast by modern standards, but it is still fast enough to hurt a lot.

socram, Mar 23, 6:52pm
Not trials!Haven't done one of those for about three years.

Highest speed posted in our group on radar was 129mph (and that is the slower of the two groups), but the slowest may only be doing 100mph.Cornering speeds and characteristics vary and everyone is on road tyres so some people sneak up on you very quickly indeed, especially in the wet as you can't see them every early.

Good point about LEDs as Bruce Manon got pinged by the marshals at the Icebreaker for no rear lights, but they were on!But as posted earlier, he is one who doesn't really have to worry about anyone sneaking up on him!

All our points races are handicaps and fair sized fields (up to 40) so there is a LOT of overtaking, rain or shine.

My own car is only 43" high and has an almost flat rear perspex screen, so visibility isn't good at the best of times, so I have to rely on the mirrors.