Another Subaru thread

Page 1 / 2
lucky082, Nov 21, 5:49am
I know there are hundreds of subaru threads, and I've had a good look at past threads. I decided not to go with a GTB wagon a few months ago and settled for a manual 1999 Libero, 1.6 litre SOHC (the 4G92). It is gutless. I am still tempted by the GTB wagons.
I know some of it is down to the previous owners's treatment, regular servicing etc but I am assuming that there are certain subbie engines to stay away from. I want something with a bit of grunt, and I like the look of them, and the fact that they are 4WD appeals. I'd be keen on a 1999-2001 model. What is the general consensus as to what model/ year/ engine to avoid! Cheers

namespace, Nov 21, 5:58am
The earlier '98/'99 GT-B and B4 RSKs fall to bits and are getting old now, I'd go for the 2001-03 facelift GT-B.

carkitter, Nov 21, 6:33am
It's simple really, Subarus are great cars but there are compromises to get that level of performance and handling.

The extra weight of the AWD combined with the turbo means poor economy. Fitment of a turbo means extra care on the maintenance, and potential abuse issues.

The big one is the boxer engine. It gives a lower centre of gravity but makes the engine more difficult to service and the AWD transmission doesn't help. Fine if you can afford a Porsche 911 or Ferrari Testarossa, not so good on a used jap car budget.

Reviews from aussie magazines show non-turbo Subarus are mediocre because they have all the turbo drawbacks without the power.

As far as I know there are no dud turbo Legacys or WRXs, only abused or badly maintained ones.

lucky082, Nov 21, 6:55am
So really it's down to buying one that's been well looked after, and continuing a high level of maintenance. Thanks.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 21, 7:10am
Or you could just get a 4WD Passat, power + economy and reliability.

namespace, Nov 21, 7:15am
You'd have to look around a bit to get a 4WD Passat wagon.

namespace, Nov 21, 7:16am
'sup hijacka

thejazzpianoma, Nov 21, 7:21am
Mr Smarty Pants!

hijacka, Nov 21, 7:22am
Hey there namespace howz it going dude! I see you bounced back on the boards bro.good to see!

hijacka, Nov 21, 7:25am
Haha.Sorry jazzman.I just couldn't resist lol

namespace, Nov 21, 7:25am
The blue Passat for $13,250 looks like excellent value.

lucky082, Nov 21, 7:26am
Funny that jazz, I was looking at a 1998 A6 wagon a while back, but I missed out on that one. Brother had a 1996 VW Polo that did well with him thrashing it.

namespace, Nov 21, 8:18am
The '98-'03 Legacys are very nice cars, but they are becoming a bit of a joke now, you know, a knackered old Sub, may give nothing but problems mate.That model is known to have premature big end bearing failure and other problems such as the fuel gauges play up and head gasket failure, some consider the earlier mid '90s Legacy to be more reliable.It depends how much you have to spend, the later '03-'09 Legacy single turbo is a much better car and earlier examples can be bought for around $10,000.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 21, 8:25am
As long as you go A6 and not A4 the model starting 1997 is a real cracker. Thats the one you were looking at of course.
The 2.4, 2.8 and 3.0 are much the same engine and its a real cracker as is the rest of the car. Well worth revisiting in my opinion as its a car that ages very well and the key servicing bits are easy to get to and parts are reasonable.

There have actually been a couple really nice examples go for under 10K lately even.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 21, 8:26am
Yes a LOT of car for the money. There have even been a few better value than that. Actually there was an A6 Sedan with 150K on the clock a little while ago that had just had a complete and full cambelt/waterpump/tensioner etc service. $5000!

Its all the little things that add up, the stability control program that takes a towed trailer into account, the brakes that keep themselves dry in the rain etc etc. The really interesting thing is despite the weight, being 4WD and having a decent amount of go they are actually pretty forgiving on gas.
My folks had a couple of them when they were just 6 months old. About $120K new from memory and they really were worth the money. Phenomenal cars even by todays luxury standards.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 21, 8:34am
If the 6 is a bit tame for your liking check this puppy! 326951141

mitchell_nz2005, Nov 21, 8:37am
Dont see why u brought the 1,6ltr non turbo mitsi if u were looking at gtb legacy which are turbo . Why didnt you buy a libero with a 4g93t 1.8ltr turbo

namespace, Nov 21, 8:47am
Ah the W8 Passat, nice car, nice lights, nice powertrain.It does look smart, but let's not forget the car's wagon body had already been out a while on the pre-facelift Passat.Being a robust 'People's Car' it was quite boxy at the rear and was really designed to be a utilitarian vehicle like a Transporter, and not a smooth looking Bahn-stormer.That is why the current new Passat wagon looks so much classier and curvier, it is not really intended to be used as a work wagon but more a touring wagon.I want an earlier Passat wagon in white.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 21, 8:52am
True, but interestingly while it may look a little dated at the back the technology is quite current even now. So long as its the A6/Passat and not the A4 safety is right up there. In terms of handling and ride they are sublime.

I gave one a really good bootfull on the little short up and down passing lane (its in better nick nowdays) between the Karangahakei Gorge and Waihi. I thought I would back off when it started to feel a bit light or uncomfortable. well I didn't feel even remotely uncomfortable despite the terrain and pulled in front of the line of cars I passed, glanced down at the speedo and saw about 230KM/H on the clock!

That was the Audi bodied version BTW. The Audi arguably looks a bit more up to date at the back still too.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 21, 8:55am
BTW, if you are looking at an earlier (as in pre-facelift 2000) Passat just avoid the 2.3. It wasn't really any good as an engine until they bolted the new head on and made it a 20V. then it went from slow and thirsty to quietly powerful, efficient and still quite bullet proof.

namespace, Nov 21, 8:59am
I bet the W8 has a nice exhaust note, the newer Passat doesn't have an 8cyl option as the engine is east-west.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 21, 9:17am
Yes both the Audi V8 and the W8 have a lovely sound. The6 has a nice wee growl when really on song though too.

If you want traditional performance in a new one I would go Audi. The smaller FSI engines are quite the force to be reckoned with though. Just the fact that you can get a Passat with a 1.4 FSI that gives respectible performance should tell you a lot about how effective those wee FSI's are!

Plus the efficiency is astonishing. I could not believe my eyes when I saw 60MPG on a normal trip in a 2.0 Golf FSI with typical load and driving over the whole course of the trip. Thats a 2.0 Engine that pulls the Golf to 100km/h in 8 point something seconds!

VAG are really going great guns of the last decade and are THE force to be reckoned with at the moment. That said its not surprising, if they have money to burn on projects like the Veyron its no wonder their technology is so very well developed.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 21, 9:22am
Its interesting to note too that Toyota among others are just getting off the blocks with their knocked off versions of the DSG gearbox. some 7 years after VW have had theirs in production.

lucky082, Nov 21, 6:58pm
I have been wanting one of these for ages. That was originally what I was after. It is nearly impossible to find one that hasn't been thrashed to hell and over modified. I test drove one 2 weeks ago, looked great on TM but was such a let down. Too low, overspray on the windshield, cracks everywhere in the bodykit (even the rocker cover being smashed!) and drove like sh*t. I find most GT Liberos these days have done too many Km's, and I'm not likely to find one that is the same year or newer than my own car (1999) so it would effectively be a downgrade and I'd be paying more. I've been looking for one for over two years now.

mitchell_nz2005, Nov 22, 6:21am
yea not to bad i think kms are too hightho hard to find them with less thn 130kms these days . My evolution just blew up at 177,000kms