Service Intervals

kiwi.wearz, Nov 26, 6:02am
I have received different opinions from different mechanics in regards how often to change the engine oil -5months, 6months, 12months, or change it every 5000kms, 10000kms and etc. I'm a bit confused, so I want to hear what your thoughts on this!

Both of my vehicles only do around 8000kms or less each a year.
-1995 Nissan 2.7L Turbo Diesel Caravan
-1994 Volvo 440 2L petrol

Is it necessary to do an oil change every 5000kms or every 6 months! Can I cut the cost by changing the oil filter only every second time!!

ninja_man, Nov 26, 6:05am
once a year would be fine. Change both oil and filter.

mugenb20b, Nov 26, 6:48am
Oil and oil filter every 6 months or 5000kms, whichever comes first + drain the water trap from the fuel filter. Diesel fuel filter, once a year.

mugenb20b, Nov 26, 6:49am
Oil and filter every 6 months, regardless of the mileage.

mugenb20b, Nov 26, 6:54am
Yes, depending on how long you want to keep your vehicles. I do less than 2000kms in my petrol ute, but I still change oil and filter every 6 months, however, I'm planning to keep the vehicle for many years. Our family car gets serviced every 6 months as well, which happens to be every 9000 kms. Oil and filters are cheap.

rovercitroen, Nov 26, 8:01am
I read an article a few years ago that quoted a study that concluded that oil filters can be changed too often and will actually filter better when they have a few kms on them. That is that, to a point, they actually filter better as they get more crap in them. In the original posters case I would say if you use good quality oil, either mineral or synthetic, change oil and filter once a year or 10,000 kms whichever comes first.

mm12345, Nov 26, 9:30am
Not for the TD27T.5,000km intervals.

mellisa2000, Nov 26, 9:37pm
5,000k/6months for the Nissan, 10,000k/12 months for the Volvo.

kazbanz, Nov 26, 9:49pm
kiwi wearz--I'm guesssing you are picking up the point that you have two different vehicles with two different service requirements.
ROUGHLY speaking the recomendation miles wise is to service a diesel twice for every petrol service
The most likely reason you are getting a bit confused is that oil service recomendations are based on WHICHEVER IS SOONEST.
So the diesel for example is recommended at 7000km or 12 monthly whichever is sooner
I would say service both of them once a year based on your milage travelled. .
My reasoning being that if you str
The easy way to remember is service every second WOF

poppajn, Nov 27, 12:28am
I agree, I do 10,000 and change oil and filter, no point putting clean oil through a dirty filter.

mugenb20b, Nov 27, 12:31am
Some early Isuzu diesels recommend oil changes at 5000 kms and filter every 15000 kms.

kazbanz, Nov 26, 9:49pm
kiwi wearz--I'm guesssing you are picking up the point that you have two different vehicles with two different service requirements.
ROUGHLY speaking the recomendation miles wise is to service a diesel twice for every petrol service
The most likely reason you are getting a bit confused is that oil service recomendations are based on WHICHEVER IS SOONEST.
So the diesel for example is recommended at 7000km or 12 monthly whichever is sooner
I would say service both of them twice a year when you get your wofbased on your milage travelled. .
My reasoning being that your if you str
The easy way to remember is service every second WOF