Heater fan not working

mitsiboy69, Nov 27, 5:00am
On my U12 Nissan Bluebird. Not getting power to the switch, have checked the fuses and are all ok. Any ideas!

lugee, Nov 27, 5:44am
Power at the fuse!

mugenb20b, Nov 27, 6:03am
Get power from somewhere else to the switch.

mitsiboy69, Nov 27, 7:03am
Yea we are going to try that. It's a pretty heavy duty power cable though, and there are two power wires, a orange and a blue one that both go to the heater fan so not sure which one we need to power.

pup2, Nov 27, 6:58pm
Not getting power to the fan switch or not getting it to the fan! which one! It does make a difference

mitsiboy69, Nov 28, 3:40am
Not getting power to the switch. There are 2 big wires going to the switch which are blue and orange and the same colours go to the fan. Which one needs the power from the battery!

les6, Nov 28, 4:10am
i think there may also be a relay behind the glove box!someone will know!

mitsiboy69, Nov 28, 4:17am
Yea we were wondering if there is a relay!

mm12345, Nov 28, 4:31am
There probably is, but there's also a fan blower resistor slotted in to the ducting somewhere above the fan.On nissans of that vintage they're usually quite complex vented boxes with separate resistor coils for each fan setting.The coil leads eventually rattle off the contacts, but if you're handy, can be fixed.Later resistors seem to be PCB, with a blob of solder acting as an overheat fuse in the track - they can actually be re-soldered.But if they blow it means the airflow is (or has been) impeded, as the airflow from the fan is needed to cool the resistor, or fan motor bearings are getting gummed up, so the cause of failure needs to be investigated.Usually blower fan resistors mean the fan won't work on lower settings, but still works on max.But if there's a relay nearby, it might be able to be traced from cables to the resistor.

pup2, Nov 28, 6:40am
If no power going to the switch, and no blowen or missing fuses, I would check for power supply fault from the back of the fuse box to the switch. Double check fuses.

mitsiboy69, Nov 30, 7:34am
So I have made some more progress, I located the resistors in the ducting. It's one big unit with each resistor inside a metal casing with air vent holes. Anyway I'm not getting any power to the resistor plug. But I discovered that I am getting power to the fan. There is power there even with the switch set to 0 which means that the power is not going out the other side and to the switch. I pushed the air con button and then turned the switch to 1 which triggered the air con pump. This means the switch is working, and the problem must be the fan itself right!

intrade, Nov 30, 7:40am
its only the problem of the fan if the plug that is on the fan motor has power and the fan is not spinning. I had given my tipo to the electrition because the fan was not working also with no power at times. He found the fuse board had corroded so made a new circuit with new wires and reley to power the normal switch. cost me 200$ but since i was lost as to where from the power comes and goes in the loom with no diagram.

intrade, Nov 30, 7:42am
also forget pluging in the fan direct to the cigarett lighter it dont works it will pop the cig lighter fuse or melt the plug as not enough power can get past the plug . I know i already tested it for you

mitsiboy69, Nov 30, 7:43am
Well since there is always power to the fan but no earth, I figure that the circuit must go back to the switch where the circuit completes. The power is not getting to the switch so It must be something to do with the fan.

intrade, Nov 30, 7:53am
well make a earth and see if the fan spinns up ,the whole car body is the earth on a nissan you could thenmake a manual earth switch to power the fan .

pup2, Nov 30, 7:54am
Check the fan - brush's worn out!

mitsiboy69, Apr 19, 12:41pm
Yep will check the fan. It did randomly come on a few weeks ago which makes me think its just a connection issue somewhere.