2005 ford focus water leak!

mr_mcgillycuddy, Jan 7, 6:29am
Anyone know what the story is behind this known leak from the hatchback! Have heard so many diff reasons but nothing concrete.

carmedic, Jan 7, 10:08am
Is this a coolant leak or ingress of water into the cabin (passenger side)!
If the later they leak around the pollen/cabin filter, Ford won??

lyonruge, Jan 7, 8:51pm
I had one i spent days on! looked obvious that it was coming in through the left rear tail lamp assembly, took it off, sealed etc dozens of times, sealed all the screw holes, dam near stripped the rear out of the car, god it pissed me off, took me ages , i tried everything, had the letter from ford too, tried what they suggested, couldent fix it, had to surrender it to the panel beaters, in the end it was one of things i'd tried, but they must have got it right where i'd just

mr_mcgillycuddy, Jan 8, 12:27am
The water leak is from the hatch somewhere. I too have sealed the screws, but still it leaks. Drivers side. I have been told its the welds around the hatchback where the bolts bolt onto the car body! What do u think cured ur problem!

lyonruge, Jan 8, 1:06am
Yeah, sorry about that, open the hatch, look at the rear door jam at the top where the hinges are, there is a box shape recess that conceals the hinges, run your index finger along the top side above the hinge, you'll feel the seam where the panels are welded, this is where the water gets in. You need to try work the silicone into the gap, it's not big, and hard to believe thats the leak, but it is, put heaps of silicone on your finger and try to fill from behind. I'd do the whole seam, right around the hinge enclosure. Let it set, and out with the hose! Hope that makes sense!

mr_mcgillycuddy, Jan 8, 3:55am
Ok my friend.I will try the above. Many thanks for your help. Its driving me doo lally. I will let you know how i fair.

carmedic, Jan 8, 4:14am
Sounds very simlar to the firewall fault.
Silicon is NOT the correct product to be using (ask any paint & panel shop) you require a quality polyurethane (PU) seal sealer.

mr_mcgillycuddy, Jan 8, 4:28am
Any particular kind of pu sealer! Name or brand etc! Thanks for the tip.

marcos1, Jan 8, 4:49am
Yep .avoid silicone on a car. Save it for fish tanks and tits.

Try sikaflex sealers.Good quality stuff.

carmedic, Jan 8, 5:10am
+1
Sikaflex 227 (Buy @ Supercheap)

mr_mcgillycuddy, Jan 8, 7:23am
Many thanks guys. I will post results tomorrow!

lyonruge, Jan 8, 7:25pm
Yeah, sorry, i did generalise a bit with the word silicone, whatever pooh you find works best, dont know the name of the stuff we used for this job.good luck.

lyonruge, Jan 9, 5:36am
How'd ya go!

mcscottwgtn, Jan 9, 5:49am
Partners Renault Clio sport 2003 (3 door hatch) has developed a water ingress leak onto the area below the rear seats. Do you think it would be the same issue - a seam at the top of the hatch by the hinges! Is this sort of thing common on aging cars! Thanks

lyonruge, Jan 9, 6:10am
Probably not, focus had this issue, could be anything, as you can tell, water leaks are horrible to find and fix!

lyonruge, Jan 11, 5:52pm
Result!

intrade, Jan 21, 7:05pm
my guess would be a faulty windscreen seal. there was a tv proggy i wotched in euro where a mazda bounty like car has blowen its horn and flashed its lights each time it rained. loads of garages took half the car apart and did not fix the issue. then these tv geezer took it on and discovered the top corner of the windscreen had delaminated and water was making it down the inside of the pillar and dripped on to the fues box causing the shorts . other knowen problems are doors the contain a sealing plastic in loads of cars to keep water in the door for example mk2 vw golf suffer from this problem the mk1 however dont needs the plastic in the door.
You need a hose a person with acrobatic skills and a torch to find where the water enters the car . this is how the tv geezer did it and it is how i would do it to find the problem.

lyonruge, Jan 19, 7:00pm
Well, your guess would wrong, you'd need to walk round to the back of the car in this case, the waters gett into the boot.