Power Inverter for caravan

danielle35, Jan 22, 1:03am
Is a 12v/230v 1500W Power Inverter the best to use in a standard 15 foot caravan!

starry8, Jan 22, 1:05am
What sort of appliances are you wanting to run off it! How many!

scoobeey, Jan 22, 3:11am
depends what you are wanting to run!

bjdw, Jan 22, 3:16am
Some appliances use double there normal running wattage on start up, so you need to account for that to.You need some pretty serious deep cycle battteries to get 1500w for any amount of time.

mechnificent, Jan 22, 3:16am
It is probably too big for the average car battery to tell the truth.

If you draw 1500watts off a car batery, it will be flat in about half an hour. If you only intend to use a few watts, then get a smaller inverter.

mechnificent, Jan 22, 3:17am
Snap!

offrd1, Jan 22, 3:34am
Buy a deep cycle battery,they are worth there weight in gold,i have a little 600 watt inverter in my 25ft caravan,mainly to run my old 22in TV,i get 8 hours before running out of battery but i do have a solar panel and a genny for big stuff

petermcg, Jan 22, 4:10am
Like a fridge or something like that is far to big to run of inverter and 12 v battery

danielle35, Jan 22, 7:07am
I want to run TV DVD lights kettle so maybe a 600 would do!

im_andrew, Jan 22, 7:18am
You should be ok running the tv, dvd, lights etc off the 600watt but the electric jug will draw 2000+ watts so isnt really recomended.

hijacka, Jan 22, 7:28am
Most popular choice of power supply for campers are 2x 6volt deep cycle batteries crossed over to 12, they do come at a cost thou(around $500 each). but well worth it

hijacka, Jan 22, 7:34am
This sort of thing.
You can order them in from most leading auto and battery outlets.
http://www.solar-electric.com/cr225am6vode.html

mechnificent, Jan 22, 7:35am
600 might struggle to start a tv and the dvd at the same time, though it will run them both if you start one after the other, an 800 would barely start two at the same time even I'd say, and I've been on alternative power for twenty years.
There are a lot of variables. If the battery is freshly charged, the 800 should start tv and dvd at the same time. If the battery has been used a little, or sat for a few hours so that the volrage is barely 12 volts instead of the freshly charged 12.6, then it will struggle. Likewise if you have a light on it will struggle.
Also, it doesn't matter how good or how big your battery is, you can only take out as much power as you are going to be able to put back in before you start the tv and dvd again, sp in 24 hours presumably. If you don't fully recharge the battery then your inverter will struggle and even a deep-cycle battery will deteriate and die quite quickly.

mechnificent, Jan 22, 7:38am
We, those are 2volt batteries Hijack. they would need six of those, and the caravans axles would probably snap off!

hijacka, Jan 22, 7:42am
Haha yeah i spotted that i thought they were 6's haha and also read running 2 6volt deep cycle battery to get more power is a meth.jezz google gets me everytime ha

mechnificent, Jan 22, 7:44am
I have been on alternative power for over twenty years and I gave up buying deep-cycle batteries a long time ago, as have a lot of other long term alternative power people I know. they just can't be justified.
If you have deep cycle batteries then sure, you can run them a bit flatter, and for a couple of days say, but eventualy you have to put that power back in there, which takes time. In reality you can not take out more power than you can generate to put back in, so, you need decent power producing whether it's solar, wind, water or diesel. Given that you have to have the power producing capacity, and use it, there is no need for the deep-cycle. That fact, coupled to the price of deep-cycle batteries compared to auto semideep cycle batteries means it's better to buy good quality auto batteries at a trade price.
I'd recommend Yuasa batteries, semideep cycle ones, big enough for a day or two's use.

offrd1, Jan 22, 8:57am
I just have 1 deep cycle battery,600 inverter and solar panel which is only used for the TV and lights, i use this every night and have had no problems what so ever [ and my TV is one of those old tube ones .lol.] just about every thing else is on gas . have done this for a couple of years now. PS my deep cycle cost $200 [unnamed brand .lol.] and this is on the West Coast .I know absolutely nothing about alternative power just saying this works for me just fine AND the solar panel seems to charge enough to keep battery charged,so far have never charged by any other means

mechnificent, Jan 22, 9:07am
The trick is to live within your means huh! If the weather is bad, you turn the tv off or use it less.

I know people that have spent tens of thousands of dollars and still had to monitor their power. You just get used to it.

I enjoy a simple life and never watch tv myself, actually, I gave ours away after not using it for several years.

offrd1, Jan 22, 9:24am
LOL Totally agree,I'm only in a caravan,guessing a house would be a whole new ball game.i do like my TV though,after 12 hours driving a day it slows my brain down .lol.before bed

mechnificent, Jan 22, 9:29am
Life on the west coast sounds good to me. I'm in the far north, out in the country. the further from a city and all it needs/expects the better I reckon.

offrd1, Jan 22, 9:40am
Yes yes and yes .lol.just can't beat the Coast I'm guessing would be very similar to the far North,i also live in Goldenbay also remote,spilt between the 2 BUT the West Coast is my favourite by far .its the people

tiggerluvr, Jan 21, 10:47am
We have a solar panel hooked up to a second battery, not the car battery, and run the inverter from that, to a small tv. Didn't try a dvd though. Worked ok, we had no power for 2 days after eq, so was a way to keep up with the news etc. Probably only be able to run one thing at a time though. Solar lights for night time or lantern is all we use when we aren't on power.