VTEC power increase! ideas :D

Page 1 / 16
lazz323, Oct 13, 9:27am
own a b18cR 96spec, have usual bolt on jasma stamped 4-2-1 headers -> stock itr system, a/m integra w/ hogs racing pod , 8mm sili leads , j's racing duct w/ pipe routed to pod to d.i.y cold air box. what's the next step in getting more power out of my engine! hks silent hi flowexhaust system! bigger cams! ecu! bigger i/m! any information would be appriciated, rather do cheaper upgrades first :)

lazz323, Oct 13, 9:28am
was thinknig to put saas ( only reason for this brand is because it suits my e-bay layout of red :D) oil catch can ---- from rocker cover to can and other inlet for catch can back to intake pipe :O

trdbzr, Oct 13, 9:30am
How much is your budget!

lazz323, Oct 13, 9:31am
e for enough ahah, well lets say if it will make a big enough difference ill pay the price :)

andrea_w, Oct 13, 9:33am
Oil catch cans are not a performance upgrade!
I can't advice you on what to do next (Hondas aren't my thing) but I take my hat off to you for doing a cold air box + intake. People tend to just fit a POD filter and do nothing else, but that's only half the job!

trdbzr, Oct 13, 9:34am
$1000 $10,000! the budget can make a huge difference on what you end up with.

lazz323, Oct 13, 9:40am
i know the catch can is not a performance upgrade, i heard it just stops detonating

jasongroves, Oct 13, 9:45am
I would go for the exhaust, you already have the intake sorted.and part of the exhaust, may as well finish it off to let it breathe.
HKS system should be good, especially since its not overly loud.

trdbzr, Oct 13, 9:51am
Ok well a big difference to what you will be able to get depends if you go on the brand new route or 2nd hand route. You can pick up some pretty good 2nd hand gear off here, just keep an eye out. Definitely get a 2 1/4 straight through system with proper mandrel bends on it and a decent muffler.

If you go the next route ie cams, cam gears, computer, tuning etc it will easily push you wayyy over the $1k mark.

You do have good breathing mods. I'd say do some suspension changes. There's no point in having power if you can't really utilize it. Some decent springs, shocks, control arms, bushings, braces etc will help quite a bit. But keep in mind that the mods you do don't need a LVV certificate, because if it does then its better to save up and go full monty in one go. Otherwise you will have to pay for new LVV's as you go along or risk not getting one and potentially getting pinged by the cops for it.

Type Rs were made to go fast around corners and are definitely alot of fun to drive. They weren't really built for straight line power.

Alternatively save up your money and get a DC5 Type R. The K series engines are a much better platform to start modifying and extracting power from.

andrea_w, Oct 13, 9:54am
It 'catches' oil vapour caused by blowby, where the factory PCV system recirculates the oil vapour. This vapour can lower the octane rating of the fuel. However, you would need to have a fair bit of blowby to notice any lowering in the octane and at that point, you have far more serious issues to deal with than catching oil vapour. If you don't have blowby, the catch can will do very little.
Don't get me wrong, it won't harm anything having one. but it's money that doesn't need to be spent.

ninja_man, Oct 13, 11:06am
exhaust first, then aftermarket ECU, then do your cams.

jsbike, Oct 13, 11:42am
b18cR+turbo.

pollymay, Oct 13, 12:27pm
Stickers

the-lada-dude, Oct 13, 7:18pm
i doubt if youv,e got the intake system sorted out at all!i bet you a pinch to a pound of shit, youv'e got sharp edges, bumps hosing that looks like nova flow drainage pipe etc. you can carefully match ports to manifolds, and gaskets etc. you can experiment with induction pipe lengths etc. theres probably 8-10 hp just waiting for your little pinkies to release.i wouldn't worry about the exhast side too much, except maybe check for stupid obstructions like cat/con and buggered silencers. then theres plenty more you can fiddle with that will cost stuff all.

dave653, Oct 13, 7:34pm
Shoulda started with the exhaust! No point making it breathe in if it can't breathe out. Mate had a zorst shop, I learnt a lot over the years, he used my car to road/dyno test custom mufflers, and I have built different styles of headers as well.

kiwicon, Oct 13, 8:15pm
lol.

vtec controller

thunderbolt, Oct 13, 9:25pm
Stickers upgrade would be too much power without some form of scaffolding which resembles a rear wing protruding from the back.
Above roof line of course to get maximum effect.

jason18, Oct 13, 9:49pm
I have always found those metal Pedal cover make a good power increase.

scotty20001, Oct 13, 9:57pm

foxdonut, Oct 13, 10:00pm
Skunk2 cams, HKS pistons, Spoon computer, Jackson Racing supercharger, Denso intercooler.

'bout 40 grand if you're frugal.

A thousand bucks isn't going to make it any faster.

bellky, Oct 13, 10:01pm
this^^ and some sort of fast looking big rear wing, and maybe put your cap on a tilt.

bellky, Oct 13, 10:02pm
yeah i think so. what about those branded seat belt pads!

bellky, Oct 13, 10:06pm
that was gold scotty thanks :-)

wrong2, Oct 13, 10:26pm
machine made off-the-shelf systems are compromises

if you want a proper power increase from your exhaust system, it needs to be hand made. sized to your current engine condition

but theres no law against wasting money

wrong2, Oct 13, 10:27pm
just wait till you see his 6 second to 100 km/h video

only takes 8 seconds to do it :-)