Toyota Ipsum power mirror motor will not stop

245tee, Dec 20, 12:02pm
The motor drive on the power mirror of my 2002 Toyota Ipsum 2.4l import, will not stop running. I have tried pulling every fuse but none seem to be linked to the mirror motor. Are there any other fuses beside the main fuse housing under the bonnet! My next option was to remove the mirror assembly and disconnect the power cable - two of the three mirror bolts are easily accessable but the third is hidden/covered by the door panel. I don't know where or how to start to remove the door panel without damaging it. Is there an easy way to pry the panel off!

thewomble1, Dec 20, 12:04pm
Disconnect the battery till you sort out the problem

jono2912, Dec 20, 12:13pm
Pull the switch out instead, clean the contacts, it's most likely your issue.

245tee, Dec 20, 12:22pm
Hi. Didn't mention it only occurs when the ignition is on so no need to remove the battery. Also it is only the left mirror and it is the motor drive for closing/opening the mirror not the adjusting motor. I got as close to the back of the switch as I could contort my body to have a look. Couldn't see or feel any clips or any other way to remove the switch easily. The switch body behind the facia is a single housing that includes the mirror adjustment and left right toggle switch.

gadgit3, Dec 20, 6:23pm
x1
The mirror has a broken drive pin. If you fold it into the door manualy then pull it out again it may stop. If not you will have to pull the door trim and disconnect the mirror loom.

kazbanz, Dec 20, 10:43pm
245tee--I deal with this issue a LOT.The ONLY way to fix the problem propperly is to replace the whole mirror.
By propperly I mean all the operations of the mirror continueing to work as intended.
The fastest temp solution is to pluck out the switch block from the dash-(its only clipped in-no screws)then unplug it and put it back in.
This will stop the noise and frankly if the mirrors are set propperly you'll likely go no further.

245tee, Dec 21, 4:41am
Hi kazbanz. Just got home from work. Thanks for the photo it gives me a better idea of how to get the switch out. I will have another look. Does any one know if there are any sites that provide online access to Toyota Ipsum (or similar) manuals. I would still like to know how to get the door trim off so I can remove the mirror.

kazbanz, Dec 21, 4:48am
Its not really all that hard.--I'll walk you through it

245tee, Dec 21, 4:51am
x1
Hi gadgit3. I have tried folding the mirror in manually and out again several times. Makes no difference. I can still adjust the mirror electronically, just cant fold it in or out, not that you often want to do that, its just that the motor is whirring around all the time while the ignition is on.

kazbanz, Dec 21, 5:14am
x1
Heres how you do it.
1) tools --philips screwdriver,SMALL flat blade screwdriver,10mm socket/spanner. a rag and a bigger flat blade screwdriver.
ALL is INSIDE THE DOOR
2) First -have a look under or in the door handle/grip.-right at the bottom in the middleYou will see either a philips screw or possibly a little round plug (1.5cm round) -remove the plugthen undoo the philips screw.
3) look at the door Opening lever (the bit you pull to open the door)
in the cutout behind it you will see a black or grey round plug with a small slot in one edge-the tiny screwdriver will go in the slot and youll lever the plug out. In behind that is a screw. Undoo the screw.
4)starting from the back edge of the door at the top look all around the edge of the plastic inner trim (door card) for any screws.--If theyu are there remove them
5) if you look at the bottom front edge of the door card you'll see its not quite touching the metal of the door. Grab the card and pull towards the inside of the car.-work you way around the card
You do need to use a bit of force and it often sounds like you are breaking it --You aren't.
BUT--if you get to the door handle area and it feels stuck there hold fire a mo --If its coming free then carry on .
6) You lift the card upwards to free it from the window track.

245tee, Dec 21, 5:24am
Well thanks to your photo I have managed to unplug the wiring from the back of the switch. The switch unit itself seemed tricky to pull out - couldn't get my hands inside. Do you just push it out!f

kazbanz, Dec 21, 5:29am
I grab hold of the "coin tray" and pull -this usually pops it out easy as
But its unplugged so job done for now

kazbanz, Dec 21, 5:38am
Ya know 245tee it takes me less time to DO the job than it does to tell you how

245tee, Dec 21, 11:07am
Thanks Kazbanz. I will tackle the door trim later.

kazbanz, Dec 22, 5:14am
x2
Heres how you do it.
1) tools --philips screwdriver,SMALL flat blade screwdriver,10mm socket/spanner. a rag and a bigger flat blade screwdriver.
ALL is INSIDE THE DOOR
2) First -have a look under or in the door handle/grip.-right at the bottom in the middleYou will see either a philips screw or possibly a little round plug (1.5cm round) -remove the plugthen undoo the philips screw.
3) look at the door Opening lever (the bit you pull to open the door)
in the cutout behind it you will see a black or grey round plug with a small slot in one edge-the tiny screwdriver will go in the slot and youll lever the plug out. In behind that is a screw. Undoo the screw.
4)starting from the back edge of the door at the top look all around the edge of the plastic inner trim (door card) for any screws.--If theyu are there remove them
5) if you look at the bottom front edge of the door card you'll see its not quite touching the metal of the door. Grab the card and pull towards the inside of the car.-work you way around the card
You do need to use a bit of force and it often sounds like you are breaking it --You aren't.
BUT--if you get to the door handle area and it feels stuck there hold fire a mo --If its coming free then carry on .
6) You lift the card upwards to free it from the window track.
If all is well the card will now pull away from the door.
If not --then you need to look at the Grab area of the door. -where the window switch is. There is a line where the plastic is hard then soft. You need to lever the top bit off and unplug the window switch
Behind the cover is a couple of 10mm head bolts --unscrew those and te card will come free
NOW--you have access to the wires for the mirror.
If you look up to inside where the mirror is mounted there are only ONE lot of wires coming from that area. Dont bother taking anything off theres no connections there.Follow that set of wires down to the plug from memory its a flat plugheld in place againts the door skin with 7 wires coming out of it. Unplug that plug.
Turn the ignition on to be certain you have the right plug-the mirror wont work. Now either leave it unplugged and the whole mirror is disabled OR
You need to work out which wire runs the retract and cut it. From memory its red/black stripe.