Forgetting to turn off lights.

starry8, Jan 22, 1:03am
This is not as stupid as it sounds haha. But I continually forget to turn the lights off in my car. I just don't even think about them. My car is a 1992, so it doesn't have a beeper that goes off when you take the keys out. Is there a gadget that can be hooked up to do this! If so are there any on trademe! Any help would be great.

andrea_w, Jan 22, 1:10am
The model car I have started production in 1989 and it was released with a warning buzzer so your cars age is irrelevant :)

How good are you with electronics! It should be pretty easy to wire something up with a bit of electronics knowledge and a few basic tools!
I doubt there is anything 'off the shelf' you can buy sorry

thejazzpianoma, Jan 22, 1:13am

thejazzpianoma, Jan 22, 1:15am
BTW, I just don't get why so many manufacturers don't sort this out. There is no need whatsoever for stupid buzzers etc. Fiat have simply made the headlights turn off with the key for half a century or more.

It bothers me that people with so very little common sense are designing vehicles.

starry8, Jan 22, 1:23am
Welcome to my world. One Day!

lookoutas, Jan 22, 1:25am
The reason why my brother has always owned Subaru's. He always leaves the lights on, and never forgets to turn them on when he leaves the RSA at night.

That's what he reckoned anyway.

There's no reason why the light main feed couldn't be axed and a relay hooked in from the ignition. You would need a separate over-riding switch for the park lights in case they were needed while the car was left unattended.

rsr72, Jan 22, 2:01am
Could be a simple matter of transferring the light power wire on the back of the ignition switch to an empty socket with power-off when key off.

Some Euro cars also can operate left or right park lights when indicator held down when ignition turned off.

nzmax, Jan 21, 8:47pm
Age has nothing to do with lights on buzzer, had plenty of 80's Nissans with them.

Believe it or not, you get used to the buzzer when you have one, so the chances of leaving lights on is still high anyway. Just set yourself a routine when you get out of the car and attach it to the dash for a period of time if you have to.handbrake on, key out of ignition, turn the light switch (even if lights are off), open door, lock door etc. Do this continually and it will just become habit.

I have a friend who continually locked his keys in the ignition go thru a similar checklist.handbrake on, key out, open door, get out, lock door with key.and has never locked them in again. How he never learnt after the 1st time, I have no idea, but after a few months using the list, now has no interest to push the inside lock knob down to lock the door.

Good luck