Engine builder question!

Page 2 / 2
mechnificent, Jan 22, 11:34pm
Yup, carefull assembly is the secret. Care, care and more care.

Robman, I am self employed, I live and work in a rural community, all my customers are long term and are paying hard earned money. The come to me because they know the job will be done right. Any risk taken are one hundred percent on my head. The thing is, they are not risks if you know what you are doing and do it carefully. It's the hands on assembling that makes the difference.

The scariest job I ever did was build a custom harley for a guy. We worked all week on it to get it ready for a bike show in the weekend. We had new belt primary and rear belt drives which all needed aligning with custom mounts, new forks and both wheels, which both needed aligning with one other and the driveline, all new brake system front and rear, rebuilt engine, gearbox, new gaurds front and back, new wiring, switches, custom handlebar mounted indicator indicators to design and make. everything. We finished it on the friday night about eight after working on it all week for long days, it still hadn't been started and I asked him when he was coming to pick it up with the trailer and he looked at me and reckoned. "I'm riding it down in the morning", I told him that he needed to ride it a bit and not the two hundred miles to Orkland and he reckoned "Nah, it will all be ok mate, that's why I got you to do it, you are the only bugger that you can get to fix things and then be confident they aren't going to break down on the way home".
He rode it away, and down to Orkland and back, and he won first prize for custom bike!

rob_man, Jan 23, 12:31am
When you're dealing with a Remuera soccer mum you don't want anything to go wrong, the sense of entitlement can be staggering sometimes.

mechnificent, Jan 22, 2:49am
Yeah yeah, and I have worked for toyota at one of their flashest places, and I was the highest paid toyota mechanic in the country within three months of starting there. because I do good work. They also had guys there that had a productivity rate of twenty-four percent because they were toyota certified technicians. that were incompetent.