Have just sold a car and not knowing it has leak

biddy99, Jan 22, 10:00pm
the people picked it up saturday, brought if friday and they rung me today saying there is a huge puddle of water in the front, like a bucket has been thrown on the floor.I'm not sure what to do, my partner wants me to get it fixed and I think the people that brought the car do aswell.We had NO IDEA it had a leak and they are saying that I must of known it was there.My parter said the people that brought it havedays to bring it back!They got a cheap car, mazda mpvfor $5,600, the reason it was so cheap is because we are off to aus on the 1st.Any advice would be appreciated:)

biddy99, Jan 22, 10:02pm
They have sent us photos and there is a pool of water on the floor, which is really weird because it has never leaked before and the carpet isn't mouldy or smelly or anything

kazbanz, Jan 22, 10:04pm
You may feel you have a moral obligation to fix it. Thats something only you can decide on.
What year and milage is the MPV!

biddy99, Jan 22, 10:06pm
Yes my hubby feels like we should fix it but as I said, we didn't know it was there, they didn't get any aa check so I kind of feel we shouldn't and they drove a 3 hour drive home so something may have happened on their way home maybe.

biddy99, Jan 22, 10:07pm
It was a 2001, mileage was 164

biddy99, Jan 22, 10:10pm
I think so too andydlm.

biddy99, Jan 22, 10:12pm
My hubby is in aussie atm and is coming over tomorrow, he told them to take it to a panelbeaters and we might be able to come up with something, very frustrating though because I think it was a really cheap car, and we sold it cheap because we fly out soon.

oliver6, Jan 22, 10:44pm
Unfortunately the price doesn't make any differnce if the new owner wants to make a fuss.
I think that as they have purchased a 9 yr old vehicle without any inspection ( which probably wouldn't have found a leak anyway ) it is their problem. However it would be a good thing to offer to pay half the repair bill in my opinion.
Everyone takes a gamble when they purchase used goods.

rob_man, Jan 22, 10:51pm
It could be caused by something as simple as the drain holes in the bottom of the door blocking up. You can check by listening for water sloshing around inside when it's moved.
If the holes are blocked the door will fill up and overflow from beneath the door trim into the interior.

biddy99, Jan 22, 10:54pm
Thankyou, yes we are considering paying half of the bill

scoobeey, Jan 22, 11:40pm
If It was me half the bill would be kosher and you would feel better too and the buyer:))Most likely something small.Good Luck

andy61, Jan 22, 11:47pm
Is the air cond drain hose blocked! but then there wouldn`t be that much water.

vtecintegra, Jan 22, 11:51pm
Leaks can be tricky, I've had a car that would only leak if parked on a steepish slope and would be completely fine the rest of the time.

bigjerry, Jan 22, 11:56pm
well i once sold a bike and got the year wrong, turns out it was older than i thought ( i guess i didnt think) i refunded a bit of cash and everyone was happy. Its really up to you, fixing the issue feels right. I have to ask, was it always parked inside!

magoo2, Jan 23, 12:05am
it could be the heater in which the water would be green.usually on the front passengers side.Not sure about your model ,but sometimes the dash has to come out.Its easier to just bypass the heater.The car shouldnt be driven until they establish if it is the heater

lookoutas, Jan 23, 1:07am
It hasn't rained for a while, so a leak could have developed without your knowledge - could be just bad luck for you that it's rained now.

Good idea to check the Air Con drain - it's not uncommon for them to block, hence the ducting fills and overflows inside.

phillip.weston, Jan 23, 10:16pm
you sold it to them perhaps considerably under value, I feel if they are going to buy a car cheaper than they would have elsewhere, they should be able to take the risk and deal to problems with should arise.

If the new buyers are being real polite and simply informing you with the hope that you would come to the party, then perhaps yes I would help them out if I was feeling generous, but if they are rude and demanding then I would probably tell them to piss off.