Electrics or fuel problem - brainstormers

Page 2 / 2
1fordluva, Dec 15, 8:15pm
My money is on the fuel tank baffle.
Brother has had 3 homodores with this problem,lower fuel in tank and only around corners going one way.
Took the last out and put a stainless drop tank in.
The other thing I would check is the main loom plug from cabin to engine.
Vibration is an amazing engineer for plugs and the things they do.
Good luck in finding it socram

timmo1, Dec 15, 11:07pm
At what point in the corner is it doing it! Presumably if fairly immediately it would point to the electrical issue (i.e. as soon as the engine/loom/whatever has had time to move towards the outside of the corner against the engine mount.but then again, why not on the right hander at the end of the straight which is moderately long!).

If it is only happening part way through the corner then this indicates the carb/fuel starvation issue!

I wonder if you could try replicating it by getting up to decent speed before the corner, then depressing the clutch and coasting around- Perhaps this would help you determine which was which! If the car still cuts out then this would indicate ignition. If it doesn't, or if it does it significantly later in the corner, then this would indicate fuel (since the fuel in the blocked float chamber won't be being used as quickly at idle)

socram, Dec 16, 5:20am
Thanks guys.Good one Bob!

Guys, the fuel tank was a custom item (with baffles) and has been in the car for 16 years. As I have posted before, it has run perfectly at previous race meetings so if it was in any way the tank baffles, why hasn't it done it before!

It appears to be about 2/3 of the way around the corner AND NOT ON EVERY LAP!

I think that as long as the weather is OK, Monday's track day might well be only sensible option - whilst giving one or two people track rides.(The car is not at home so I can't check electrics.)

Ho hum.The joys of 40 year old cars driven beyond what they were built for.

mellisa2000, Dec 16, 8:25am
1fordluva wrote:
My money is on the fuel tank baffle.
Brother has had 3 homodores]

Haven't you just brought one! Just asking.

1fordluva, Dec 16, 8:26am
No now shuddupp au!

mellisa2000, Dec 16, 8:29am
Socram, my money would be on fuel starvation, float bowl level too low for the cornering. (Several reasons for this). Now I know it doesn't happen every lap, but not every lap is identical in all aspects. The Main jet needle valve may be sticking in the orifice or binding to one side partially blocking the main jet. Not sure of Strombergs, but they are similar to older SU's I think. Check the main jet for uneven sideways wear.

ema1, Dec 16, 8:02pm
Strombergs have a diaphragm controlled metering needle assembly, wonder ifa diaphragm or both diaphragms have possibly got a split in em causing the fueling problem, if it is indeed that!
They were prone to diaphragm failure,been there on many occasions.
SU carbs didn't use diaphragms in the earlier models so I'd be looking to see if the diaphragms are the problem or indeed possibly the metering needle assembly could be disassembling itself!
Seen that before, I suspect its a fuel problem with the Stromberg carbs as in my years of experience with BMC cars & Triumphs etc they are NOT as reliable as the SU from which they were "loosely"
copied from.
The next best carb to the SU type is infact the Hitachi SU possibly the best of em all actually.
Though the tacho going from 4000RPM to Zero RPM would suggest ignition, possibly a coil breaking down or a power grounding in the electrics or possibly a subtle break in the LT circuit or electronic ignition components or somewhere in the wiring being made apparent on cornering forces .
It's the old needle in the haystack thing you have there socram I'm afraid, a methodical elimination of possibilities, good luck.

guest, Sep 25, 11:51pm
Why would i ignore anyobdy.Actually i'm busy with many types of workloadBTW, what is your requirement ?.. please find last p4s, testinside and testking. Many ppl failed icdn2 exam cause the dumps present here in this moment are useless and this dude's at is not enough. I think it's cover 50% maximum of the exam.

guest, Sep 26, 5:51pm
That saves me. Thanks for being so selnsbie!

guest, Sep 28, 3:19pm
Me dull. You smart. That's just what I nedede.