Catalytic Converter Problem

boozo, Nov 29, 6:24am
I have a '97 Legnum, the light came on on the dash and jerks when traveling. I want to know how hard would it be to take off and sort out and where about's it is on the car.

alan1111, Nov 29, 6:28am
You can no longer just remove the cat. VIRM rules has changed if you remove the cat your car will fail its next wof. Go to a exhaust shop and get them to replace it with a aftermarket cat.

boozo, Nov 29, 6:38am
I wasn't wanting to completely remove it. Just how to remove it, clean or something and put back on.

mugenb20b, Nov 29, 7:37am
Cats are either welded in or bolted on. If you can unbolt it, you can punch the guts out of it with a big steel pipe, and simply refit it.assuming it's blocked.

mugenb20b, Nov 29, 7:41am
Only if the inspector can prove that the car is suppose to have a cat.

rkauto, Nov 29, 7:56am
There is no requirement for it to be there.The light is on as the car has a missfire and the cat has been overheated due to fuel burning in it.

franc123, Apr 16, 4:47pm
LOL what!Only if its a post 2010 car.The usual reasons for the light coming on is what post 6 says, most likely a coil or HT lead if that applies breaking down.Also how does an AVI know whether a cat is working or is even present during a WOF!Unless they monitor up and downstream O2 sensor readings on vehicles so equipped and/or perform a gas analysis, neither of which are test requirements they don't!